Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My JVM1750DP1WW microwave just quit working after only 6…

My JVM1750DP1WW microwave just...

My JVM1750DP1WW microwave just quit working after only 6 years of use. The touchpad still has the time and I can enter cook times etc, but the oven does not come on. When I open the door the oven sounds like it is going, although the turntable does not go. Any ideas?

Contractor's Assistant: What's the microwave's make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

It is a GE JVM1750DP1WW made in Jan. 2012.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Probably not.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Just what I said, the touchpad, time, etc seem to be working, but the oven does not come on. When I open the door the oven sounds like it is going, but the turntable does not go. It has tripped the circuit breaker several times.

3/12/2018
Engineer-Tech
Engineer-Tech, Home Appliance Technician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you. Sorry you are having trouble with your GE microwave. Please give me a moment to review your question. Please note that it sometimes takes a while to type responses and answers. Also note that you may receive a phone call offer from Just Answer. That is automatically sent by the website and not from the expert.

Generally when you are experiencing an issue like this it just means that one of the door switches is bad. These microwaves have 3 to 4 door switches that must all be in their proper positions to cook and heat up and when one goes out you will experience things like the turntable going when the door is open and tripping the breaker. Luckily they are fairly inexpensive to replace as most of the switches are less than $20. The bad switch is usually the one that doesn’t “click” when you press the button on it. Sometimes the leads to the switch appear overheated. If it isn't something that you are comfortable doing yourself you can call a local service company or if you don't know one you can always call GE customer service and see who in your area is a certified service of GE appliances. The part number for the door switch is WB24X10029. You can get it on Amazon here: http://a.co/hfYbAXl

Always unplug the microwave for 3 hours before taking it apart to discharge the High Voltage capacitor. Be careful when working on microwaves.

- PLEASE use the stars at the top or bottom of your screen my service before you leave today. Since we are on the honor system, Just Answer will only credit me for my time if you rate me positively. By giving me a rating of 4 or 5 stars at the TOP RIGHT of your screen I will provide free follow up questions for this appliance after this session. I am not always online, but answer questions as soon as I see them. So if you don't get an answer right away, don't worry, I log on daily to respond to questions. Thank you.

Thank you. It sounds like a fairly easy fix, but my microwave oven is mounted over the stove. How hard is it to take down so I can get to the back of the microwave?

You only need to take the top grille off to expose the screw to the control panel. Take the control panel off and then the switches are right there.

Engineer-Tech