Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a GE stove top with 4 burners. One of the 8" burners…

Customer Question
I have a GE...

I have a GE stove top with 4 burners. One of the 8" burners will not regulate from warm to Hi. When it is turned on low, it rises to high tempature rapidly.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Don't have the model no. but it is at least 20 years old

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Yes, I unhooked the burner yesterday to put a new burner pan and then reconnected the burner. when I turned it on, it popped. When I looked at it, it seems that the leads were touching one another when I closed it up last night and that resulted in the short because there was black burn on the small tile covers of the burner connection.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Appliance
3/12/2018
Appliance Technician: Engineer-Tech, Home Appliance Technician replied 4 months ago
Engineer-Tech
Engineer-Tech, Home Appliance Technician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you. Sorry you are having trouble with your GE range. Please give me a moment to review your question. Please note that it sometimes takes a while to type responses and answers. Also note that you may receive a phone call offer from Just Answer. That is automatically sent by the website and not from the expert.

Since you don't have a model number, can you tell me if this stovetop is stand-alone in a counter or part of a range with an oven?

Stand alone

Ok, you will need to replace the switch associated with that burner. That part was damaged when the element shorted out. Without a model number, you will need to take the old switch into a local appliance parts store and have it matched up.

Is there anything else I can answer for you?