Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Trying to figure out what’s going on with my Maytag front…

Hi! Trying to figure...

Hi! Trying to figure out what’s going on with my Maytag front loader. When I press the start, it’ll start up, lock the door, and then it’ll stop with the timer blinking and many times the door locked. If I press start again it just beeps and won’t continue. I press power on/off and nothing. If it does this when the door isn’t locked, I try to open/close the door again. I press start and it’ll start again but then will stop with the timer blinking. If the door is locked however, I Usually I have to unplug it for a bit and try again before it works.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

It’s about 7 ish years old. Lemme see if I can find the model number. It’s a maxima and I know it has with 6000 in the model number

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If it’s something I can do, yeah, but I have never had to repair an appliance before

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It’s intermittent. Sometimes it can do a few loads before it happens.

3/11/2018
Webb-Guy
Webb-Guy, Handyman

Hello, and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I will be the one to assist you. Sorry to hear that you are having this trouble. Have you tried unplugging your appliance for 5 minutes to do a hard reset yet? If unplugging is not easy to do turning off the breaker for 5 minutes does the same thing.

Yeah. I have repeatedly done this

ok what is the model number of your front loader? This is located on the inside of the door area. Also do you happen to have a multimeter ?

The model number is *****
I do have a multimeter
Ok I will give that a shot

ok keep me posted

It’s not letting me get into diagnostics mode. But going to keep trying

ok ​from the sounds of it the problem is your control board has died and is going to need to be replaced. This is why its not letting you enter into diagnostics sadly.

would the control board going out stop the washer from running at all? Cause like I said, it’s pretty intermittent

i​f its failing it can be intermittent but the fact that it wont even go into diagnostics only leaves that being the problem. Sadly your electronic control board does not come cheap. This is the part below.

http://www.appliancepartspros.com/whirlpool-cntrl-elec-w10427972-ap5653805.html​

Holy crap. Ugh is it something that an everyday person can replace or do you recommend I call a tech?

it​s actually pretty simple to replace this part. All you have to do is unplug the original board and plug the new one in. Its located on the right side of the unit in the upper part so you will be removing the top of the unit.

Webb-Guy
Webb-Guy, Handyman
Ok I will give it a shot then. Thank you Travis