Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My whirlpool duet model WF70HEBW2, SERIAL NO C41353432 cold…

Customer Question
My whirlpool duet model...

My whirlpool duet model WF70HEBW2, SERIAL NO C41353432 cold hose had a drip leak so I turned water off to fix it. Unbeknownst to me, aide put load in it, pressed start and left the laundry. Later, she found the machine stopped, door locked, load appeared dry and door lock light was blinking. I found same thing, turned water on, nothing happened. I unplugged power, waited for blinking light to stop, plus 20 seconds and plugged machine back in. User interface did not light up bur pump turned up after a couple of seconds, ischarge hose jumped and came to rest, indicating there was some water in system, but not enough to pump out. I cut power andI removed the detergent drawer and ran water into machine until it showed by movement of the load, reinstalled the drawer and plugged the power cord back in. After a couple of seconds,the pump turned on and drained the water and edid not stop. Nothing on the user interface had lit up.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

I don't remember but would guess 6-10 years, Monday I can call the dealer who has our records back to 1956.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

To continue, after the tests already mentioned, I removed the top of the machine to access the technician's manual and unlock the door per the instructions. I read the manual but found nothing about this particular problem, only that if the machine did not detect water after 12 minutes, it would shut off.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

With the water turned on, since the UI did not light up, and no buttons would do anything while power was applied, but the pump was running, I was unable to enter the diagnostic mode and see any trouble codes. I cut power and considered that the simplest next test was to unplug the UI to remove it from the circuit and see if that shut off the pump. With power applied, the pump did not run, suggesting that the user interface board was defective. Considering the high price of the UI board, and the possibility that a failure in the appliance control unit, ACU may have spiked the UI, and might do the same to a new UI, I am hesitant to replace the UI. I could check for 5 volts to the UI at AVU j18, pins 1 and 3 but since unplugging the UI kept the pump from running, there has to have power to the UI, and if the UI was spiked but does get its 5 volts, there may be no way to duplicate the cause of or the possibility there was a spike. An examination of the UI circuit has not yer revealed if there is any kind of fuse on it and there is no visible indication of local overheatig. Of course, a spike could blow a comonane without any visible sign.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Appliance
3/11/2018
Appliance Technician: Kelly, Appliance Technician replied 4 months ago
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

The control is in a flood routine. It will have to time out tor reset. Simply plug it in and let it run. It will time out and reset in about 20 minutes or less. So, plug it in and let it run. Once it has timed out, the door will unlock and the control will reset and restore normal operation.

If you would be so kind, would you please remember to rate my service USING THE STAR SCALE at the top or the bottom of the page before you leave today? You may post back at anytime with follow up questions. Please let me know how I may earn your 5 star rating! Thank you so much!

Hello, I see this question is still open and I was just following up to see if you require further assistance.