Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a Kenmore Elite dishwasher 665. The detergent door…

I have a Kenmore...

I have a Kenmore Elite dishwasher 665. The detergent door opens before the wash cycle begins and the detergent pod falls in the bottom of appliance.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Kenmore is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Mod: 665.13433k703 type:577D serial: F02101494

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not that i can think of

3/11/2018
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Does the detergent door seem to latch securely closed when you load it?

Door closes securely, spring latch firmly in place. No signs of wear.
Door closes securely, spring latch firmly in place. No sign of wear.

So does it come open when you close the door or what exactly happens?

I place the detergent pod in the dispenser, close the door of the dispenser and it stays firmly closed. I close the dishwasher door and select "smart wash". The machine starts running as usual. After a few minutes, I hear a sort of "plop" sound, open the door of the dishwasher , which hasn't yet started the sprinklers, and sure enough the dispenser door is open and the detergent pod lies at the bottom of the appliance

The door should open after the second fill. Are you sure it is filling as it should? It should start filling immediately after you start the cycle.

I think you're right: no water seems to get into the dishwasher even if the water inlet valve is open.

The water inlet valve will need to be replaced. The video at the link below shows how that is done!

CLICK HERE

The link below is to the part you will need!

CLICK HERE

If you would be so kind, would you please remember to rate my service USING THE STAR SCALE at the top or the bottom of the page before you leave today? You may post back at anytime with follow up questions. Please let me know how I may earn your 5 star rating! Thank you so much!

Kelly, Appliance Technician
Well, I installed the new water inlet valve yesterday (saturday) and, sadly, it didn't work . First, I tried the quick rince cycle. I saw and felt the water run through the inlet valve hose and the drain hose. A few hours later I tried the smart wash cycle. This time no water went in the dishwasher. Disapointment. Note:I did not install the swivel gooseneck fitting that came with the new part. Back to square one!

Do you have a meter to see if the valve is getting energized? It is odd that i initially worked and then stopped with the later cycle.

a bit strange. I'll get back to you in a few days and should be able to answer you . Thanks

Thank you.

OK, here's an update of what happened last week. I cut the main power, reconnect the water inlet valve, reset the power and try the quick rince for a trial run. Lo and behold, it works. But there are a few gliches. The machine goes off after a few moments, I press on resume, the machine starts again but with another setting, I change the setting and the dishwasher finally agrees. Latter, I try a new run. Nothing! Dead! So, I just cut the main power again and put it back on after a few minutes (sort of a reboot), the machine starts, stops, changes settings again, but finally completes a whole cycle. Do you think the Russians are meddling with the system?

Hmm, that behavior would suggest that the Chinese may have some responsibility! Their electronics appear to have some glitch in them. Power cycling will only reset the electronic control, not the water valve or some other part.

The water inlet valve may not have been faulty after all ...
Perhaps, it may be returned if ordered through the link I sent you. I would wait until you try it with the new control, though.
To be accurate, the dishwasher was never "dead"; it was running but no water was getting through ( which you figured out). As for me, I think I'll go for quits and just stop ... meddling. Thanks for your help.