Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

We have a ge microwave that just stopped working and is

We have a ge...

We have a ge microwave that just stopped working and is showing an “m” error code. What does that mean?

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

About 4 years old. Model number PEB9159SF1SS

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Depends on what it is

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No, it’s been working fine. This just happened

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/11/2018
Engineer-Tech
Engineer-Tech, Home Appliance Technician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you. Sorry you are having trouble with your GE microwave. Please give me a moment to review your question. Please note that it sometimes takes a while to type responses and answers. Also note that you may receive a phone call offer from Just Answer. That is automatically sent by the website and not from the expert.

I don't believe that "m" is an error code for GE microwaves. Did you try to cut off power to them microwave for a full 2 minutes then back on?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Turned off circuit breaker and restarted

For how long? It needs to be off for at least 2 minutes to discharge the capacitors on the board.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Turned it off for more than 2 minutes

Ok, since "M" is not an error code for a GE microwave - generally, when you get a random character that is not supposed to be there, I suspect that the microcontroller on the main board has gone bad. This would necessitate replacement of the main control. Would you like a source for thhis part?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What is the cost of the part? Is it cheaper to replace the whole unit?

One moment please while I get some information for you.

I will send you a link so you can decide. I am seeing a price of $183 for the part:

http://a.co/hvq8Oae

For a built in unit like yours, I would expect to pay around $400.

- PLEASE use the stars at the top or bottom of your screen my service before you leave today. Since we are on the honor system, Just Answer will only credit me for my time if you rate me positively. By giving me a rating of 4 or 5 stars at the TOP RIGHT of your screen I will provide free follow up questions for this appliance after this session. I am not always online, but answer questions as soon as I see them. So if you don't get an answer right away, don't worry, I log on daily to respond to questions. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also, maybe it’s not an “m”? Could it be some other diagnostic code that looks like an “m”
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also, on a built in model, how do I take it out to replace? It doesn’t just slide out

GE microwave error codes start with an F and are followed by a number - such as F-2.

You would have to remove the trim kit around the microwave and then remove the screws that hold the microwave in.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok- seems to make more sense to replace than fix on a 4-5 year old model?

Yes, I believe so because this is an advanced repair and a technician will likely charge around $125 on average for labor.

First try turning off power for a full 10 minutes then back on before replacing it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, I’ll try that. Is that model still available for purchase?

I don't see that it is in production any more.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What model would replace it and fit in the trim kit?

You would need to go to the store and bring the owner manual with you and give that to the sales rep so they can match it up. Here is a link to the manual:

https://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/user-manuals/peb9159sf1ss-ge-parts-manual?manualIndex=0

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How do you take the front panel off of the trim kit to expose the microwave?

Most of them just have small screws that hold it in - either visible by looking in the grille or are exposed when you open the microwave door.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, thank you

You're welcome. Please don't forget to rate me before you leave. Thanks.

Engineer-Tech
Engineer-Tech
Engineer-Tech