Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a Maytag MED3500FW dryer that makes scraping noises…

I have a Maytag...

I have a Maytag MED3500FW dryer that makes scraping noises when running. I think there is something on the drum rubbing against the inside of the side panels.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

It's less than a year old

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If possible

3/11/2018
Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician

Hello, this is Dave and I welcome you to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

There is a felt seal at the back of the drum and something like a coin may be stuck there. Open the door and pull the drum forward as far as possible and turn the drum half way and pull it front again. It won't move very far but may be enough. If it is a pin etc that is stuck in the felt this won't work. Let me know what happens and we may need to remove the top.

Dave

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I moved it very little, but saw nothing in the felt seal. When I run the dryer and press just slightly on the right side panel, I can feel something scraping on the inside at a certain point on the drum.

Okay. the entire top come off easily. There are screws at the back of the top panel and then pull is a little until it stops and lift up the back first and then the front. You should be able to see what is scraping.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Took the top off. Can see where one spot on the drum itself is scraping the inside of the panel. Looks like the drum is slightly out of round / or just has a high spot there. I tried putting a long screwdriver between the drum and side panel and moving it to create some space, but the drum has some normal play and is not permanently moving. I guess I can try to flatten this spot with a hammer.

Wow! Something VERY heavy must have been put inside. It would need to have the drum removed to do this best but if you turn it so the high spot is at the very to you may be able to get it to go back down where it should be. Might need to have someone else pushing up from the inside outside the area that is high as you work it down.

Appliance Tech Dave
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Nothing heavier has been inside other than loads of wet clothes. I think it's more to do with minimal quality control at the factory. This unit started making noise soon after purchase. Then after a couple months we moved to a new house and the noise became worse ... possibly exacerbated by moving the unit. I can see that clearances inside are very tight, so anything just a bit out of normal will cause issues. After some mild hammering and prying, the scraping has been eliminated. Thanks.
Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave