Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Just read something about the cabrio dryer. Mine was working…

Hi. Just read something...
Hi. Just read something about the cabrio dryer. Mine was working fine. Put a load of clothes in, started it. Shut off and won’t start again. Took the back off. Saw two wires on the side of the big pipe about 1/4 back with two wires going into it. Is one of those what I need to replace?
3/10/2018
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information? The tag is around the opening where the clothes are loaded.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
WED8500DC0

What happens when you start it? Do you hear a click at the control panel?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It will NOT start. Once it shut off wouldn’t restart.

When you attempt to start it....

• Do you hear a click at the control panel?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No. I push the power button and it does nothing.

If you open and close the door, do you heat the door switch clicking?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No. And the light does not come on

Perfect, thank you. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

One other thing, do you have lights on the control panel?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay. Thank you

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No. Nothing
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No. Nothing. It’s like it has no power going to it but it does. It’s like totally dead
  • Ah, okay. Have you checked the breaker to see if it has tripped?
  • Do you have a meter to perform any electrical testing with?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Breaker is fine. No I do not.

Can you remove the cord cover to inspect where it is connected?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Already had it disconnected
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hooked it back up. Screwed in each wire
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Did all that when I took the back off

It is likely an issue with the power supply. If it is good then the problem is with the main control. So, I would strongly encourage getting a meter to test with before replacing the expensive board. You can get a meter at any hardware store for $20 or less. I can help with testing once you have one! :)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My fiancé may have one in the garage. I can get him to look for it. I do not know how to read one though. Have never learned.

I can show you, not a problem! All I need is the model of the meter from the front of it and we will be good to go! :)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He is going to see if he can find it now.

Awesome, thanks!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Please just give me a few mins. Okay?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay Opening the case.

Sure! There should be a model number on the face of the meter.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It’s an old one. AMPROBE

Is there a number on it besides the Amprobe?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
AM-1200

Perfect! Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok

At about the 12:00 position at the top, there is a 750 setting. Put the meter on the that setting. The meter leads go in the two holes on the right, black in the COM hole and red in the V hole just to the right.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. Got it

Turn the meter on. At the terminals where the cord connects, that is where we will be testing. With the dryer plugged in, carefully place one meter lead to the center terminal and the other to one of the outside terminals. Do you read 120 on the display when testing between the middle to both the left and right?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m confused as to where you want the probes to be placed. Red one where? Black one where? On the dryer.

Black to the center terminal where the cord is connected to the dryer. Red to the left terminal then to the right.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
There are three different cords going in to the back. A red, a white and a green.

You should have red, black, white and green. White should be in the middle, black and red to the outside and green to the cabinet.

See the picture below.

CLICK HERE

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. We are putting the black to the left of the white. It was not hooked up when we started.

Okay, just make sure the white is in the center and red and black on the outside terminals. That is the most important.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We are trying to hurry. I’m apologize
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We are trying to hurry. I apologize

Oh, not to worry. I am here all day, take your time! :)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He’s trying to find another end for the black wire. Whoever hooked it up just pushed the black wire back. No end to connect it to the dryer!

Can you post a picture of what you are working with? I want to make sure it is safe because those connections have to handle high current draw.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is correct. Just like the pic. Can’t send u a pic.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay. Now where do I put the probes? Or whatever they are called. Lol.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it should be plugged in? It won’t shock me? Lol
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry. When it comes to stuff like this I know NOTHING.

Yes, plug it in and test between the center white wire to the black and white to red.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hold on. Trying to plug the dryer in again.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It’s in a very tight space.

No worries, thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Have to reword it. The cord is too short. Obviously. Please don’t leave
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Rewire

It's okay, I will be here.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well after he wired it correctly the damned thing came on!!!!!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It has been running like that. Without the black wire connected for two years! Don’t get it.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do you think that’s it? Is it fixed? Love l
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Lol*

If it is running and heating, yeah, it is probably gonna be fine!?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It’s running. I’m going to make sure it’s heating real quick

Fingers crossed!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The towel I put in there got warm.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Does this make any sense to you?

Sounds like all is well, that's awesome! I cannot explain why it worked unless the black wire pulled off when it shut down. In any case, you are back up and running! :)

If you would be so kind, would you please remember to rate my service USING THE STAR SCALE at the top or the bottom of the page before you leave today? You may post back at anytime with follow up questions. Please let me know how I may earn your 5 star rating! Thank you so much!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much for all the time you spent. We really appreciate it. I can only pray that this is going to keep working.

If it stops again, just post right back here. There is no time limit or expiration! The easiest way back is to follow a link from your email.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay. Thank you!!! ����������

You are very welcome, thank you!

Kelly, Appliance Technician
Kelly, Appliance Technician