Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

WE are trying to change the bulb in our kitchenmaid

WE are trying to...

WE are trying to change the bulb in our kitchenmaid microwave model # kcms2055ss-2. How do we get the front control panel off?

Contractor's Assistant: What's the microwave's make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Kitchenmaid model # kcms2055ss-2. Manufacture in 2011

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes, we are in the middle of it and can not get the front panel off. We removed the one screw at the bottom but it doesn't easily come off.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

We have the ordered bulb. The microwave is unplugged and on the counter.

3/10/2018
Engineer-Tech
Engineer-Tech, Home Appliance Technician

Are you referring to the control panel on the right hand side of the microwave?

Ok, grab it firmly and push straight upward then forward to release it.

It will not move straight up. It is loose at the bottom
It seems to catch on the edge of the microwave.
and will not push up.

Some of them have a hidden screw at the very top. You have to look into the top of the control panel to see it. There is a hole in the top if this model has that feature.

There is no hole at the top. Only one screw at the bottom

Get a flashlight and look at the space between the control panel and the body to see which hook is hanging up and try to work it upward.

A butter knife may also be helpful as some food may have caused the panel to stick.

It catches on the housing of the microwave.

I have seen at least one model where the panel needed to be slid downward to release.

it is looser and can wiggle back and forth but something at the top is holding it.

When I say look for a hole in the top., I mean that you would need to be on a ladder or chair looking straight down at the top of the microwave to see the hidden screw in the control panel. Have you done that?

There is no hidden screw. The control panel will not come out enough to lift up or even out
Caught at the very top

Then pull it slightly forward at the top, then push up. You may need to get a butter knife behind it.

It will not release at the top
The plastic edge of the control panel is still inside the housing at the top only.

Ok, I will opt out then and let another expert take over. One moment.

You don't have my email do you?
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. Sorry to hear you are having appliance trouble, I know how frustrating that can be! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

The entire outer cabinet has to come off, not the control panel. Remove the screws from the rear and bottom edges of the cabinet, slide the cabinet back a couple of inches and it will lift off. Number 10 at the link below is the light bulb socket assembly.

CLICK HERE

Make sure the microwave is unplugged and stay away from all other parts other than the light bulb!

If you would be so kind, would you please remember to rate my service USING THE STAR SCALE at the top or the bottom of the page before you leave today? You may post back at anytime with follow up questions. Please let me know how I may earn your 5 star rating! Thank you so much!

We have put it back in the cabinet for now and will try again later. Thank you
I don't know why they make it so hard to just change a light bulb.

Sure, thank you. Once the cover is off, you will have no trouble replacing that bulb. And I agree, it is worse with the wall mounted models, the entire thing needs to be taken off the wall!

Kelly, Appliance Technician
Yay, we finally got it. Thank you for your help.
Kelly knew what he was talking about.Did what he said and got the job done. Thanks

Glad you were able to get it replaced. Thank you so much for the kind feedback. Have a great rest of your weekend!