Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a Bosch SH4AMI50C dishwasher. When I start it drain…

I have a Bosch...

I have a Bosch SH4AMI50C dishwasher. When I start it drain pump goes on, then wash pump and then goes directly to clean. Does this everytime regardless of cycle. If I turn off dishwasher after second pump sounds and turn it back on again it runs fine. Have replaced pump, water level sensor and cleaned out sump and turbidity sensor. No change

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Bosch is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Its about 10 years old

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I have voltmeters, tools etc.

3/10/2018
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

The dishwasher going right to the clean light means that the main control board is detecting that the drain pump or the circulation pump is drawing too much power. The first thing you need to do is start a cycle and listen carefully. The first 30 seconds of the cycle the dishwasher just drains. Then it fill. Then it circulates the water. So if the issue occurs in the first 30 seconds, you need to remove the drain pump and check for any blockages hitting the drain pump impeller and remove any debris you find. If you find nothing, then replace the drain pump.

On the other hand, if the dishwasher just stops after filling and the light is still on, you either have a bad circulation pump or a bad control board. You'd need to uninstall the dishwasher, remove the right side panel, start a cycle and wait until after it fills to test power going to the circulation pump through the right side of the dishwasher. If you're not getting 120 volts down to the pump, then you need a new control board. If you are getting 120 volts, then you'd need a new control board---by far the most likely culprit will be the circulation pump.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

But why if I turn it off and turn it back on does it run fine? Does it only do that check at the beginning of the cycle?

It sounds like the motor is drawing too much power on start up (depending on whether it's the drain pump or circulation pump). Once it's turned over and ran for a bit it probably runs smoother so the 2nd time you try it works. That won't continue forever however.

Its a new drain pump, so it must be the circulation pump?

Well, does it go through drain, the fill before it switches to clean? If so, then yes you have a bad circulation pump. If it just starts to drain and it never starts to fill before it goes to clean, the dishwasher thinks something is wrong with your drain pump. Either the pump came faulty or the main control board under the dishwasher on the right side isn't reading the pump properly so the board would need to be replaced.

Looks like a bad circulation pump. Don't know if its worth investing $200 in a 10 year old dishwasher

It's an expensive part for sure and it's not easy to change out. If you can replace the part yourself it might be worth replacing but otherwise it's definitely better to just get a new dishwasher if you have to hire someone to replace it for you.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc