Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Samsung rf263beaesr. Replaced filter and now the fridge

makes a jackhammer-type noise when...
Samsung rf263beaesr. Replaced filter and now the fridge makes a jackhammer-type noise when dispensing water, and water stops coming out altogether after a couple seconds. Removing the filter restores water flow and the noise is gone. Put the filter back in, and it happens again.Attached is a pic into the filter tube - the housing where the filter is inserted. In case that helps.
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/9/2018
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

With the new filter in place, hold the dispenser open for a couple of minutes to purge the air from the new filter and the lines. Does the noise stop and water start to dispense?

Ok so I should install the filter and then hold the dispenser open to see if the water starts flowing again. How long should I hold it?

Yes, install filter and hold it open for 2 minutes.

Ok, I will do that now and be back to report!

Roger that, thank you!

That didn't go as expected at all! When I first opened it, the water flowed normally, no noise. After 15 seconds, the noise started and the water quickly stopped flowing. A couple seconds after the water had stopped flowing, the noise stopped. I held it open the rest of the 2 minutes - no water, no noise.
After the 2 minutes I let go and then did try pushing it again. It was still the case - no noise, but no water either.

Is the filter an OEM Samsung filter or a less expensive aftermarket style?

it is not samsung brand. however I will tell you that the filter before this one was from the same package and worked fine for 7 months.

If you put the old filter back in, does it work?

I wish I could tell you...we threw it away before this problem arose :( This filter worked fine too for about a week before this started.
Sorry - totally meant to include that detail in the original submission

Ah, okay. So if you remove the filter completely, it will dispense fine with no noise?

I just removed the filter and the water flows. A few tiny air bubbles at first but then normal flow of unfiltered water.

Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Since that filter worked for a week, I would first try replacing that filter. However, I suspect the issue lies in the valve in the filter housing. In any case, the filter needs to be replaced so I would start there. Also, I would strongly encourage you to use Samsung filters. The aftermarket ones are very problematic.

If a new filter does not remedy the issue, the filter housing is available below. It does require moderate disassembly to replace, so please let me know if you would like instructions to replace it yourself.

The link below is to the part you will need!

CLICK HERE

If you would be so kind, would you please remember to rate my service USING THE STAR SCALE at the top or the bottom of the page before you leave today? You may post back at anytime with follow up questions. Please let me know how I may earn your 5 star rating! Thank you so much!

Ok, I will get a samsung filter and see if that resolves this. And yes if you could provide instructions to replace the filter housing just in case that would be great!

Absolutely! Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Do you have a way to give me the pdf file to download instead of a picture of it?

Sure, I will send you the entire manual. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

The complete service manual is available for download below.

CLICK HERE

Got it, thank you so much for your help

You are very welcome, thank you!

If you would be so kind, would you please remember to rate my service USING THE STAR SCALE at the top or the bottom of the page before you leave today?

Kelly, Appliance Technician