Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Maytag front load mah5500bww won't go into high spin,

Maytag front load mah5500bww...

Maytag front load mah5500bww won't go into high spin, constantly tries to rebalance, stops clothes wet.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

No diagnostic codes, only help code for unbalance load

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Some parts not available so reluctant to call repair person. does clunk with large, heavy load. jeans, etc.

3/9/2018
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

The most common thing that causes a balance issue (where it keeps trying to rebalance) and the doesn't always spin is the upper ball bearing out of balance sensor. If this sensor is acting up, you can pull the washer forward and remove the back panel, watch the large pulley on the back of the tub and see if the inner basket is going back and forth like it's washing but never goes up to high speed spin. if so, then your washer thinks the unit is out of balance and that's why it won't spin. The top switch is hit by a small ball bearing which causes the switch to go weak over time and then it will open up for a split second causing the washer to not spin when the unit isn't really out of balance. Either way, below is a link to the out of balance switch you'd need to order for this model and to access the switch you'd need to remove the front panel and then the top panel and it's mounted on the top of the outer plastic tub.

CLICK HERE for switch

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. Will this switch still test good in this scenario? I have tested both out of balance switches in the past and both seemed OK. Could I bypass this switch just long enough to see if that is the problem?

The switch will almost always test good, but you can definitely bypass it--yes. There are 2 more switches on the right side and bottom of the tub that never fail, but you can bypass all of them if you remove the back of the control panel and follow the blue wires up into the control panel. There is a disconnect in the back left corner where you can disconnect the wire harness going to the switches and then bypass right there.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That's terrific. Definitely easier than doing all switches independently. I will do that before I buy a new one. Don't see any new ones with very good ratings right now.
Soc.Sec. doesn't go far these days.
Thank you

Understood. If you need anything else just let me know. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Does that wire harness only activate balance switches are other functions as well?

just balance swithes

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That's helpful. Will rate you as requested.
Thank you.
If I need to reach you again do I just look for this thread to continue?
I haven't used this site or this type of site before.

You you rate me there should be an E-mail sent to you with a link to come directly back to this question so you can read the conversation or ask follow up questions.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Wonderful, will do. Bye for now. Off to the garage and toolbox.
Just for your info, I'm an 82 year old great-grandma who HATES getting rid of anything that can still work so this is really helpful.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Tyler,
Machine spun out fine this load. I don't see where that switch goes. It is in addition to the three switches I see on the wiring diagram that I have for my machine. I have bypassed all three switches, the two on the side and the one on the bottom. The two on the side are one under the weight and another one further down below.
If there is another one is it only accessed from the back through the back panel opening?
In the diagram (picture) I have, the switches are referred to as upper tub displacement switch, lower tub displacement, and inertial unbalance switch.

You need to replace the inertial unbalance switch.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Tyler, we got the switch in. It turned out to be the one on the bottom of the tub. I have just one more question. If it fails to go into high spin with a large load, is there something that is happening that causes the switch to activate and prevent high speed spin? This is so old and the tub seems to have a lot of play in it. In addition, can I just bypass that switch and use the machine or is there any danger other than damage to the machine? Hubby and I seemed to remember a problem with that switch before, a long time ago and that is what we did when a new one wouldn't work. After a short time we reconnected the new switch and it began working OK until these last few months.
Until we were working on it with your help we forgot about this issue. The last time the switch checked out bad so a no-brainer then. It was 8 or more years ago.
Thanks again.
We have a houseful of appliances that are soon to be out of warranty so I'm keeping your info handy. Also for my kids who work on their own stuff. (Or I do)

Large loads will be quite unbalanced and the washer will refuse to spin if the motor determines that it's struggling to turn the basket or it's surging in power from it being out of balance. There just isn't anything you can do about that. Other than that, yes you can bypass the switches as your own risk because if the tub gets so out of balance that it hits the walls, the switches won't stop it from continuing to hit the walls.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When this happened long ago it never "walked" and seemed to just clunk at slow speed a few times and stopped noise once it got to faster spin speed. If it didn't rebalance after 2 tries, I just stopped it, rearranged clothes and tried again and that worked. I just thought maybe there is some issue with inner and outer tub and more weight with large/heavy load. I haven't done a heavy load yet so here's hoping won't be an issue.
I won't bother you again. Thanks
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc