Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I'm an oven down at home. my bottom element does not seem to…

Good Morning Pearl!...

Good Morning Pearl! I'm an oven down at home. my bottom element does not seem to be heating. the broil still works and the control panel seems to still operate fine with all the controls including the convect fan. so I think its either the element or the thermostat. Is there a way I can test the thermostat?

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of your oven? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Make CPEB30S8AC2 serial NF23415549 frigidaire Gallery 10-15 years old

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Im quite handy....!

3/9/2018
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

If only the bake element won't turn on, you have a bad control board or bad bake element. The thermostat is working if broil still works. You'll need to remove the bake element and check the element for continuity. If it has no continuity, replace it. If it checks good and has continuity, the relay on your display control board has failed and the entire control board would need to be replaced even though it "appears" to work I'm sorry to say.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Good Morning Tyler ! I'm not 100% sure thats it. it appears to want to start and the oven makes a sort of clicking sound during the heating up process which its still doing. If you solve my problem I'll up the starts to excellent. lol

Those are the only 2 possibilities if broil still works---there are no cut outs for just the bake element.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
how do I check the element

You would need a multimeter. Unplug the oven, remove the bake element, and test the element for resistance. It should have between 5 and 50 ohms resistance if it's good.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
how do I remove the bake element (its a wall mount oven) I've figured out how to detach it from the wall and can pull it forward. I guess shutting the breaker off is good to until I can pull it out enough to unplug,,,? Do you think it could it be hard wired?

Just flip the breaker off, you don't need to unplug it. The element for bake is the one mounted at the floor of the oven. Remove the oven racks and unscrew the back of the element screwed into the back wall. Then CAREFULLY pull the element forward (don't drop the wires behind the oven or then you'll need to pull the oven out to retrieve them). After that, just disconnect the wires and remove the element completely.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
okay... I'll try that...

ok good luck.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay, not that easy. had to remove convect fan cover to access the screws holding in the bake element. I've pulled it forward but it seems like the wires would spring back if I unplug it.

You'll want to put some take on them or clamp them somehow because you don't want them springing back behind the oven.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay some string worked so I can pull them out a bit further. Now what? I'm holding an element in my hands (house wife in Pjs fixing oven!!) you must get this all the time.

Below is a video that shows you how to test the element now.

CLICK HERE for video

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Video was great. I'm just headed over to my neighbour with all the tools. he's a retired shop teacher. awesome for a lot of help too. I'm sure he'll have this tool! I'll leave page open is that okay Tyler?

Ok sounds good. Just let me know if you need anything else.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Tyler,
Seems to get a reading of ohms so I don't think its the element now. Could there possibly be anything else? and is there a way to check the relay board?

The only other possibility is a broken wire between the element and the board. You'd have to pull the oven out and remove the back and top sheet metal panels to see, but other than that the board is bad. You can't test the board itself I'm afraid.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay, so I've unscrewed the sides connected to cabinet but can only get it out about 2-4 inches and then it seems to be held in by something? Any ideas for me?

Not sure unless it's the power cord or it's just catching on your cabinets.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yup, solved it on my own. Took drawer out and fount electric conduit and need to disconnect wires to remove the oven. Working on that now.
Got the oven out and have removed cover plate to motherboard. it all looks good. sourcing the part now.

ok sounds good!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
well we a snafu! frigidaire part is###-##-####and according to appliancepartspros its no longer available! tried their compatibility option and theres nothing. Can you suggest anywhere else to look?

You can send the board into a place like Core Centric Solutions or ApplianceTimers.com and they might be able to refurbish the board. Other than that I'm not sure there is another option.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well thanks for all your help Tyler! Is there anyway to send myself the discussion we’ve had for a copy of it

No problem. There should be an E-mail with a link to come back and read over the conversation any time you like.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay I've been searching and searching and after all this it looks like no one will fix this and you can't buy the part. in your experience could is at all be the temperature thermostat not sending a proper signal?
also the continuity was low but it said it could be on the video. I just can't afford a new oven right now. any other suggestions even if tedious would be great.

Again, if your broil still works, the thermostat can't cause the problem. I'm sorry but if you can't locate the part and no one around will refurbish the board, it may just be time for a new oven.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
okay! Thanks again. you were very helpful
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc