Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

The sensor in my washing machine appears to not be working…

The sensor in my...

The sensor in my washing machine appears to not be working properly.

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of your washing machine? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

MVWX700XL2 Type 588-04 BravosX Econoserve. Probably 5 years or more but I'm not sure.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If I can

Answered in 1 day by:
3/10/2018
Jason Pabon

Hello JA-lcr15lkk, I'm Howard. I'd like to help you with your washer. I just need a little information to get a better idea of what's happening. So which sensor do you think is failing, and what is the washer doing to lead you to believe that the sensor is bad?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sometimes the cycle gets stuck in the sensor phase and won’t move. Sometimes it gets past the sensor phase, but won’t agitate.

O.K. JA-lcr15lkk, Thank you for the response. The first step here it to determine if the washer has recorded any error codes. To do this we have to put the unit into diagnostic mode. First make sure that the unit is plugged in but turned off. Now you need to turn the cycle selector knob as follows with each turn of the knob about a half of a second between each turn. Turn the knob three times Counter Clockwise (CCW), Then three times Clockwise (CW), Then once CCW, and finally once CW. This will put the unit into diag mode. If successful, all of the status LEDs will blink in half second intervals except the lid lock LED. Once in this state, turn the cycle selector knob (Same knob) only 1 time CW. If your unit has a digital display, it will display a "01". If not, then only the "Done" status LED will be lit. Press the START button. At this point, the status LEDs will flash and (if you have a digital display) it will display "CL". Now, the unit is ready to display the last 4 error codes recorded. To access them just turn the knob once CW and read the first code. On models with a display, you will see an "F" (or FAULT code), followed by an "E"(or ERROR code) (Example: F1 E3). If no display, read the LEDs as follows. The "F" code is indicated when the "Sensing" LED is lit, take note of the other LEDs lit at the same time, and the "E" code is indicated when the "Sensing" LED is off, take note of the other LEDs lit at that time. to look at the next code, turn the knob once CW and record the next "F" and "E" code. Finally two more times and let me know what you see. I look forward to your response.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, I got F7, E1, E7, F0, E0

Thanks for the prompt response, So there should be 4 error codes here. Did you mean F7E1, F7E7,and F0E0? if so, you only have 2 codes as the F0E0 indicates no code recorded for that slot. Please confirm my codes and I will further research.

Thank You, ***** ***** while I take a look

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thank you

O.K. Thank you for waiting, Both of your error codes indicate that the unit is having trouble getting up to its target spin speed. We are almost there. First, Check that the basket spins freely. You should be able to spin the basket by hand. Give it a good shove and see if it continues to spin for at least a half a turn after letting go. Take note that when spinning, is it louder than when you first purchased it? If you cannot spin by hand we will check some other things.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it spins freely. And I have only had it for about 8 months...it was here when I moved in. But yes I would say it is louder now than when I first moved in

O.K. I'd like you to make sure the basket is empty and put the unit into Diag mode. 3 CCW, 3 CW, 1 CCW, and 1 CW. Status LEDs should be flashing. Turn the knob 3 clicks CW, display will read "03". Press start. Now your in Manual Test Mode. Once here, Press start again and the lid should lock. Then turn knob 9 clicks CW. Display should read "09". Press start. This will send unit into a low spin. Is it much louder than say a medium sized fan running? To exit this mode, just hit the power button.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It only spun for about three seconds with sound. It’s about the sound of a medium sized fan.

Did the unit stop and unlock by itself? or did you exit the mode prior to it unlocking? If it unlocked on its own, then one more test and we will be there. Put the unit back into diag mode. 3,3,1,1... then turn knob CW to "09" and press start. Now turn the basket by hand and watch the LEDs they should light one at a time in progression while you're spinning the basket and stop when you stop. However if you exited prior to unit unlocking, Try spin test again but let the unit spin for about 3 mins prior to stopping. During that time you will hear the motor cycling on and off a couple of times.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I did not exit the mode and it unlocked itself after a time
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’ll try spinning it by hand now

ok ill be here

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Nothing happened when I pushed start
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I started hand spinning it and no lights came on other than “done”
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The lid won’t lock at all now

OK.. that indicates that the Tachometer has failed. So the washer cannot tell how fast or if at all the basket is spinning. So the default safety is to stop operating and kill the cycle....

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That sounds exactly like what happens when I try to do a load!

Please, power the unit off and wait for board to reset

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok it’s off

Luckily, it's a fairly easy fix. One moment while I find your part.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Oh good

O.K., The part you need is called a shift actuator, part number W10006355. Its located underneath the machine mounted next to the basket pulley (the larger pulley). Here is a video on how to replace the part from a parts distributor that can also sell you one.

Hope all this helped, Good luck with your repair.

BE SURE TO BE SAFE.

If I gave you good service, please consider a 5 star rating at this time. Should you need any more help, I'll be here and happy to assist.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you!! May I ask you a quick question about the dryer?

absolutely

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have to run 3 cycles just to get a load dry. Any ideas on why?

The most common reason for that is a restricted air vent. A way to check will follow....

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That’s what I thought. Thank you very much!

is the lint screen inside the dryer or on top??

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Inside

O.k. So grab a dryer sheet, if you don't use dryer sheets, then 2 squares of toilet paper (together) will work fine. Open the door of the dryer. power it ON. Hold the door switch in (Keeping it in for the whole process) Press start tp get the dryer running. Now dangle the dryer sheet or toilet paper in front of the lint screen about 1 to 1/2 inch. There should be a good suction pulling the item into the lint screen. If the pull is not there or weak, you have a restriction and should stop using the dryer til a good dryer vent cleaning company clears the restriction.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No suction at all. No way I can clear it myself?

one moment please

Have a look at this video. This is the ONLY proper way to clean your vent. (I CANNOT EXPRESS THAT ENOUGH!!). You can purchase this particular kit right from the site. There are also similar kits, but this method is the only one I recommend.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thank you very much! You’ve been great!

Oh Sorry, click http://gardusinc.com/linteater.html

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I won’t lose all these messages when I rate you, right?

I'm not quite sure, but I'll be here if you need to contact me again.

Just in case, I'd click the links and bookmark them.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok I’m going to wait to rate you until I can actually get all this information down and apply it to the machines. But just know I will give you five stars!!! Thank you!!!

Thank You!,

Remember,

BE SURE TO BE SAFE.

Have a great Day

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will! And you have a great day too

Hello, If you rate me, you will not loose the iinformation

Jason Pabon
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I changed the shift activator but now the cycle is stuck on 46 during the sensor phase

Hello JACUSTOMER-lcr15lkk, Sorry to hear you are still having trouble. It sounds like your washer may have had more than one issue. So lets diag again. First enter diag mode. Remember 3 CCW, 3CW, 1 CCW, 1 CW -- Flashing lights-- From here, the first thing we want to do is clear any fault codes. This is done by turning the knob til you see 01 in the display. Press the start button. Now there should be a "CL" in the display. Press and hold the start button for 3 seconds. All of the recorded fault codes are now cleared. Press the power button to exit that mode. Now we want to prep the machine for test mode and we want to be able to watch the unit go through the steps. First you want to lift the top (NOT THE LID) of the unit (like a car hood opens) Watch the first minute of THIS video to see how the top lifts. To run the test, the lid must be closed and it will lock, but you can lift the top to see what its doing. !!!!! Keep in mind that the top must be down while the water is running !!!! but can be up when the water is off. O.K. here we go. Go into Auto test mode. 3,3,1,1 -- Flashing Lights-- Turn knob to display "02" and press start. The unit will now lock and go through a "mini cycle" on its own and test all components. What you are looking for is when the unit goes into agitate, that it agitates BOTH WAYS. Also when it spins, It will power on for a few seconds (You'll hear the motor power on) and then it will just let the basket spin. At the end of the test, the lid will unlock. Let me know what you see, Did it agitate both ways?, did it finish the test cycle? Did the basket spin in the end? Assuming that it finished, Power the unit off, go into test again, press start, turn knob to "01" press start and check the error codes. I'll be waiting for your reply.

Jason Pabon
Jason Pabon
Jason Pabon