Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Thanks. I wish to see if my gas dryer ignitor is glowing but…

Thanks. I wish to...

Thanks. I wish to see if my gas dryer ignitor is glowing but there's no observation window. Will I need to drill a hole in my dryer?

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of your dryer? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

FSG748GFS1 Frigidaire. Not sure of the age. Ignitor, solenoids, and flame sensor all have continuity.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes, hopefully.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Dryer isn't heating. When it was working, it made a rhythmic clicking sound. Now, it makes more of a grinding, geiger counter sound, produces smell of gas, but does not heat. Thansk.

3/9/2018
Webb-Guy
Webb-Guy, Handyman

Hello, and welcome to JustAnswer. MY name is ***** ***** I will be the one to assist you. Do you happen to have a multimeter?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Travis. I have a AstroAI am33d.

that will work just fine. Now I notice you said you tested the ignitor so I am assuming it came out good?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I actually replaced the ignitor. But that was a mistake since the old one tested fine. The solenoids also tested fine. And I tested the flame sensor. I believe the flame sensor is fine as the number on the meter were jumping around. I have not tested the cycling thermostat.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will go and see if I can locate and pull out the cycling thermostat.

sounds good please do keep me posted.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Travis, I pulled out the cycling thermostat. When I put the probes into the little holes on the outside leads of the thermostat, I get a reading of 0.2 or 0.3. If I put the probes anywhere else I get a 1. Am I correct to assume that the thermostat has continuity?

it should show 0 and if its not then its failed and needs replaced.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have already watched that video. Just wanted you to verify that if the meter is in any way responsive that means the part has continuity.

it​ means it does not have continuity.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay, thank you!
If that's the case (the reading should be 0.0), then the flame sensor may also need to be replaced.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have both these parts in front of me. I set the multimeter to tone and jammed both leads into the holes. Both the flame detector and the cycling thermometer gave readings of 00. I now believe both are okay.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is the change in the sound of the ignitor firing (from regular one click a second pattern to rapid fire bursts) indicative of anything?

that sounds more of the flame sensor to me

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is there a way to test the gas valve before I spend that much money? When it's attempting to light, the air coming out of the vent has a diesel-like smell. So, it is getting at least some gas.

sa​dly testing will not be an option.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for your time and assistance. One last question(s): The video indicated that continuity testing of the solenoids can be inconclusive. Does it makes sense to replace the solenoids before buying a new gas valve assembly (given the expense of the latter)? Are there other diagnostics I can perform or do you recommend replacing gas valve as the next step?
Thanks, again!

sa​dly with what your describing and everything else testing ok the only logical thing left is the gas valve. Now I do know a company it does cost a little more but if it doesn't solve your problem will allow you to return the installed part and get your money back. If nothing else it would let you know its the defective part or not.

https://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Gas-Valve-Assembly/5303207409/618208​

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. Rating does not stop you from getting back to me in the event you need me. It has been a pleasure assisting you today.

Webb-Guy
Webb-Guy, Handyman
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks for weighing in and for all your help. This gives me enough info to weigh my options. Used gas dryers are pretty cheap around here. Have a good night!
Webb-Guy
Webb-Guy
Webb-Guy, Handyman