Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Kenmore refrigerator #106-53564201 defrost drain has frozen…

Kenmore refrigerator #106-53564201 defrost...

Kenmore refrigerator #106-53564201 defrost drain has frozen up twice now. I cleared it a few weeks ago, but it froze up again. I've cleared it a second time, but wonder what is causing this? Ollie(###) ###-####

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Kenmore is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Purchased in 2002 - model #106-53564201

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not that I can think of

3/9/2018
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Warm air is migrating up the drain tube from the compressor area and condensing, causing the tube to freeze. Clean the coil down below and make sure the fan is working down there. There is a strap heater made to prevent his from happening, too. It is available below and just wraps around the heater and hangs into the drain.

CLICK HERE

*** You will only use the little heater strap, not the rest of that kit.

If you would be so kind, would you please remember to rate my service USING THE STAR SCALE at the top or the bottom of the page before you leave today? You may post back at anytime with follow up questions. Please let me know how I may earn your 5 star rating! Thank you so much!

Kelly, Appliance Technician
The fan is working and the coils are relatively clean. Wondering where the heater is and the strap, and what is the next step
- a failed component???

The heater is on the bottom of the aluminum coil, it looks like the element in a range. The heater strap is the part you can wrap around the heater and hang into the drain. Or, you can use a solid copper wire. When the heater turns on, the wire will get hot and prevent the drain from freezing.