Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My Samsung French Door refrigerator cranks up a very loud…

Customer Question
My Samsung French Door...

My Samsung French Door refrigerator cranks up a very loud noise that only stops when the door is opened or it finishes its cooling, I guess. How do I stop the noise?

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Samsung is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

About 10 years old; RFG297HDWP/XAA

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If possible

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Sometimes it is a soft noise, sometimes its totally normal and sometimes I can hear it outside through the walls, like today.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Appliance
3/8/2018
Appliance Technician: Gavin, Home Appliance Technician replied 1 month ago
Gavin
Gavin, Home Appliance Technician

Hi, I'm Gavin one of the JA experts. I'm just looking up your model information so that I can help you.

Could you tell me how long this has been going on?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This has been going on to some degree for over a year. It starts and stops. Most of the time the noises are normal. But then, every few weeks we have a bout of louder noises. Today it is especially loud. I just pulled out the lower meat keeper drawer. There was a 3/4 inch sheet of ice across the shelf underneath the drawer.

I'm sorry I'm not able to answer the phone at the minute but can easily advise you what you need to do.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How long until I receive my answer?

I'll type your answer up now

The noise is caused by ice build up next to the air circulation fan. As the ice builds up it catches on the fan blades causing the noise that you hear. If the ice build up isn't removed it will eventually stop the fan turning and stop cooling. It is a common defect on a lot of Samsung fridge freezers. The best thing you can do is defrost all of the ice and make sure the small drain hole at the bottom of the freezer behind the panel is clear. I use a steamer to defrost everything quicker.

Here's a link with some info on the recall

http://www.refrigeratorpro.com/Samsung-refrigerators-class-action-lawsuit.html

You can also contact Samsung directly with the model and serial details and ask if it is on their recall list

Hi, I hope that answers your question. Please contact me if you need anymore help and please remember to rate my help on the stars

Many Thanks

Gavin

Gavin
Gavin
Gavin, Home Appliance Technician