Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

After a few minutes of low voltage after a power outage,

After a few minutes...

After a few minutes of low voltage after a power outage, refri compressor won't start

Contractor's Assistant: Have you tried power cycling the appliance -- unplugging it and leaving it off for a few hours?

Yes. Several times

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If piossible.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It's a kitchenaid KFC

3/8/2018
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Does the compressor try to start and then shut off or what exactly happens?

May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information? The model tag is in the refrigerator, high on a side wall or on the ceiling.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
KitchenAid KSCS 25 FTMS00
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
EMbraco inverter. VCC3115609 a
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
During the power outage we had disconnected the fridge. When the lights came on we plugged it in. The fan started immediately but the compressor made a clicking sound for a few minutes. When we noticed the lights in the house were dim and the toaster wouldn't heat we disconnected the fridge. Once the voltage was back up to 110 (2 hors) we plugged it in again, but it wouldn't cool.

Thank you. The inverter is likely faulty. Do you have a meter to perform any electrical testing with?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't know the impedance I should look for at the 3 compressor poles; I know they should be equal though. Nor do I know which is the dc line from the motherboard and which is the 110v AC in. I'll have to take a closer look down there. Not a very comfortable working position.

Between the compressor pins should read 9-10 ohms. At the inverter, you should see 120 VAC between black and white and 3-6 VDC between red & red/white when it is calling for cooling. If you have those voltages, the inverter is bad. No DC control voltage, the main control is faulty. Let me know what you find.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi--Thanks ! I got 114.6v at the AC and 3.34vDC at the red/blk. Having trouble getting the plastic cap off the compressor to check the impedance (I have a special talent for snapping and cracking covers so I'm being cautious). Could I check the output of the inverter for 230v instead ? And would that be 230AC or DC ?

No, the output voltage is three phase and variable, you can't test it. The inverter is most likely faulty. The compressor could be but the timing is pretty coincidental with the power supply issue and the inverter is much more likely to have been damaged.

The link below is to the part you will need!

CLICK HERE

Kelly, Appliance Technician
Kelly, Appliance Technician