Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a GE profile built-in over, with an owners manual…

Customer Question
I have a GE...

I have a GE profile built-in over, with an owners manual with the model JT912-30" Single Wall Oven JT952-30" Double Wall Oven. I did not buy the oven new; it came installed with an existing home I purchased recently. The clock on the oven displays the time and when you press the 'Clear" button, a single beep tone is emitted, but that's all that happens. You cannot set any of the features or operate the oven. I consulted the owners manual left by the former owner and checked to see if the 'Control Lockout' feature had been activated, and I followed the instructions (pressed the 9 and 0 key simultaneously) and the oven remains "dead". I shut the power off to the oven at the circuit breaker and of course the clock shut off; after a few minutes, I reset the circuit breaker and restored the power, whereupon the clock lit up again on the display panel but all the other buttons and controls remain "dead" except the Clear button emits the single beep when depressed. What do you recommend to restore the oven to working order?

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

I'd guess the oven is 10 years old (based on the age of the house) and the model number on the owners manual left behind from the former owner is either JT912-30" or JT952-30"

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Hopefully, I'd like to reset it myself, if I can, before I call a repair person.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The oven did initially work for a month or so when we first moved in (Christmas, 2017), then it went "dead" as described above.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Appliance
3/7/2018
Appliance Technician: Engineer-Tech, Home Appliance Technician replied 4 months ago
Engineer-Tech
Engineer-Tech, Home Appliance Technician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you. Sorry you are having trouble with your microwave. Please give me a moment to review your question. Please note that it sometimes takes a while to type responses and answers.

My problem is not with a microwave but a GE Convection Build-In Oven model JT912 or JT952.

Got it. Have you tried to turn the breaker off for a full 3 minutes then back on?

I turned the circuit breaker off over night, and turned it ON in the morning, and it didn't seem to correct the problem.

Well then you have a classic symptom of a failed control board. If you give me the model number from the oven itself, I can try to find a part number for your board. The number from the manual probably won't be specific to generate a part number.

- PLEASE use the stars at the top or bottom of your screen my service before you leave today. Since we are on the honor system, Just Answer will only credit me for my time if you rate me positively. By giving me a rating of 4 or 5 stars at the TOP RIGHT of your screen I will provide free follow up questions for this appliance after this session. I am not always online, but answer questions as soon as I see them. So if you don't get an answer right away, don't worry, I log on daily to respond to questions. Thank you.

Looking for the model number, please stand by . . .
Model number is *****

Ok. Thanks. One moment while I look that up.

Ok, here is a link to your control board: http://a.co/bwrIWZ3

This is an advanced repair. I recommend having a technician do it - unless you consider yourself to be quite handy and familiar with electricity/electronics.

I'm pretty handy, able to replace circuit boards, if necessary. Would you suggest that I remove the existing control board from the oven to confirm the part number? Do you have specific instructions on how to remove the control board from this model oven?
Are you still there?

I have no specific instructions as they are all different. IT should be pretty intuitive though by removing screws from the front.

You may need to access screws under the control panel after opening the door.