Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Appliance repair

appliance repair
3/7/2018
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

I can help!

May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?

Kitchen Aid fridge KSC23C8EYY02
Current problem is the unit is not cooling on either fridge or freezer side. I unplugged the unit to reset and the fans will run but no cooling.

Is the compressor running?

It was running when I reset the unit but I'm not sure if it kept running. Can't hear with the fridge pushed back into place.

How long was it unplugged for and how long has it been plugged back in for?

Unplugged for a couple minutes yesterday afternoon and it's been plugged in since.

Ah, okay. Can you access the back of the cabinet so we can verify if the compressor is running and, if not, if it is getting power or not?

It will take me 5 minutes to get the fridge out

Sure, thank you!

I think it's running

If you feel it, does it feel warm and vibrating? It will be very important to know for absolute certain if it is for this issue.....

There's a cardboard panel at the bottom back of unit. If I remove this will it expose the compressor?

Yes, it will be right behind that panel, the big, round, black, ball looking thing.

it's vibrating and warm

Shoot, that is not good. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

If the compressor is running and it is not cooling at all, there is a problem in the sealed refrigeration system, likely a leak that has allowed the refrigerant to escape. Unfortunately, this is not a repair you will be able to complete. It requires very specialized tools and training and a federal license to handle the refrigerant. However, if less than 5 years old, it may be covered (or partially covered) under a limited sealed system warranty. Do you know when it was purchased or have the serial number so I may look up the manufacture date?

Purchased in 2012 so out of warranty. Is it worth repairing or should we look at a new fridge?
HR15016720

Well, repair can be expected to run about $400 + parts. Expected life is around 9 years, so at 6 years old, it is kind of a toss up. Personally, I would replace the refrigerator.

Thus far with this fridge the biggest problem has been the coils freezing up in the refrigerator compartment. Tyler helped me with this in October.
Do you have any brand recommendations for counter depth units based on your experience?

Well, Kitchen Aid is usually very good. Frigidaire is good, too, they all have their own issues, mostly electronics.

In October Tyler suggested moving the temperature sensor from the "in" coil to the "out" coil (or visa versa- I can't remember which). I made this change and it's kept the unit from freezing up thus far. Could this have damaged the compressor over time?

No, not at all. The failure you now have is a very independent failure (not caused by anything in particular).

Kelly, Appliance Technician
Thanks for your help.
Kelly I forgot to ask, if the compressor is running, does that rule out the run capacitor as a problem?

Yes, the run capacitor is optional, it doesn't even need to be on the start device. It was only added to help the efficiency of the compressor minimally to achieve a higher energy rating.