Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a maytag refrigerator, and apparently the drain line…

Customer Question
I have a maytag...

I have a maytag refrigerator, and apparently the drain line is frozen. It looks like a major pain to take everything apart to defrost the drain line, and I'm sure the drain line will just freeze up again once I do. Is there a way to circumvent the who issue by removing the ice maker and shutting down the freezer function, so that I operate in refrigerator mode only?

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Model mfi2665wem8

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Unit k31111145 Yes. I've hired help before, and it hasn't been worth the cost.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/7/2018
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 4 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Unfortunately the refrigerator cools by stealing air from the freezer so you can't shut off just the freezer. you are correct that this is not an easy issue to fix on these bottom freezer top refrigerators. You will want to unplug the unit for 24 hours to allow all the ice to thaw out. Once the ice is thawed out, the best way to clean the drain line is from the bottom up because going at it from the inside is really difficult. If you pull the refrigerator forward and remove the bottom access panel and locate the rubber hose which comes down directly from the middle or so of the freezer floor toward the back and use something like a turkey baster to shoot hot water up the hose. Once it's clear and you can blow air through the hose, you're good to go again. Also, if you have the ability to just unplug the refrigerator for 24 hours that'll thaw all the ice out and them you can just blow air up and clear the drain out.

Now this drain hose has been re-designed because the material on the hose would break down and the check valve inside won't allow water to flow out so below is a link to the new re-designed hose you'll want to order and replace with instructions.

CLICK HERE for drain hose

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.