Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a Maytag refrigerator double door ( freezer below)

Customer Question
Second opinion] Hi I...

Second opinion] Hi I have a Maytag refrigerator double door ( freezer below) Stopped cooling, check motor C R S windings ok, motor starts runs for a few minutes , every thing works fine then compressor motor stops. any ideas.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

2010 model

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes as i am in the outback of australia

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Yes I am single, what else do u need to know

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/7/2018
Appliance Technician: Melissa Martin, Home Appliance Technician replied 4 months ago
Melissa Martin
Melissa Martin, Home Appliance Technician

Hello my name is***** will help you with your Maytag refrigerator. You say you tested the windings on the compressor, you can still get readings if the are bad. The way to determine if your reading is bad is was the reading above 10 Ohms. The normal winding reading is 5-6 Ohms, 10 OHms is bad. If the winding readings are with in the 5-6 ohm parameter then the next this to check is the PTC (Start device), The compressor starts out with the start winding engaged and will run for about 5 seconds which activates the internal centrifuge switch, it then swaps over to the run winding. Also, the run capacitor could be bad, have you checked that? If not please do, if you need assistance checking that let me know. Thank you.

Hi Missy,Thanks for your quick reply. Yes I have checked the ohms and they are 5 ohms 9 ohms and 15 ohms which are in the correct factory range formula for the motor (a+b = c) and there is no earth when checked to body of compressor. I replaced the PTC and capacitor, This reads like a Aagatha Christie novel,,,,Ok discovered last night that if I leave the french doors open (refrigerator doors that is) with the internal light on in the refrigerator section, the refrigerator starts great runs for hours and does not cut out. There is heaps of cold air coming out of the upper vent. Closed one door and goes fine, when you close the second door or hold the light switch in the closed position the refrigerator compressor cuts off straight away So I have checked each light bulb for earth leakage but ok, Tried one bulb at a time in refrigerator and still same problem. Tried new bulb from another refrigerator and still same issue. It appears to have some type of short that trips the overload switch/ circuit breaker in the refrigerator only when the bulbs are in situ and both doors gets closed making the frig compartment light goes out.Strange it cuts out when the circuit is disconnected.only if the bulbs are in the sockets If I leave both bulbs out of the sockets the refrigerator runs fine with the doors closed. Do you think the refrigerator has developed Frigid Nyctophobia? Look forward to your reply.

Do you know if the damper is operating when you have the lights bulbs in it? The dampers is the vent between the freezer and fresh food compartment.

damper is operating fine with bulbs in and door open. The refrigerator and freezer are working on correct tempatures since I found the problem with the light and it cuts the motor off, I have taken bulbs out and there is no problem. So it appears the light wire must short when there are bulbs in it and you close the door.

It could be or the circuit on the Jazz board in the fresh food section. The Jazz board is known for causing a bunch of trouble. Have you OHMed out the light switches to see if they are the culprit?

Red wire is for the lights and the blur wire is for the compressor.

Sorry for the mis-spelling the is blue for the compressor.

Hi, Yes removed the red wires to both french door light switches last night and refrigerator appears to be working fine, cuts off when cold. The lights do not work on the jazz board when the red light switch wires are disconnected. So do u think the jazz board or some short in the light switches but they only are switches and create a circuit but suppose they also control the lights in the jazz board. . Appreciate your assistance.

The jazz board it the main control, the are notorious for shorting out. I believe this is the problem with yours.However, to prove that you can ohm out the switches for the door lights to make sure. If you do not know how to check them and have a ohm meter or a multi-meter I would be glad to assist you. If you get me the model number I will look up part numbers for you.

Hi Missy,You requested the serial number of my maytag refrigerator so you can source the correct part number of the jazzboard.Type EBF20A Model G32026PEKS3 serial number(###) ###-#### I do have a ohm meter, is there any special way to test the switches?Kind regards
Noel

Here the part number for the control board WPW10503278. The way to test the switches is to unplug them, then with the tester set to ohm place the leads on the terminals, when the button is depressed the needle on the meter should drop to zero and when it is let go it should go way over to the right. If it doe then it is good. If it does not move at all it is bad whether the needle is way right or way left, then it should be replaced here is the light switch number for the refrigerator section WPC3680310 It is the same for the both of them.