Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have an older Maytag stove, that has a self cleaning

Customer Question
Hello, My name is...

Hello, My name is Johnny. I have an older Maytag stove, that has a self cleaning cycle. We set the oven for self cleaning and the cycle is completed but the door will not unlock. The fan is still running

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

~ 15 OLD

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes, I would like to know if the oven will unlock itself and the fan will shut off at some point?

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No, is the oven safe to let it run like this until it complete it cycle?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Appliance
3/7/2018
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 4 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

So first, after the oven has finished, the oven must cool down for the door to unlock so if you haven't given it 2-3 hours after the cycle finished, just give it more time. If it still won't unlock, you have a problem. If that's the case, it sounds like your door latch may have failed. Try turning the breaker off to the unit for 60 seconds to see if it will reset. When you turn the circuit breaker on go inside and push on the door and hold it for a minute or two in case it's rubbing on the door latch not letting it release. If that doesn't work, then try to set the self clean, wait 60 seconds and cancel it to see if that will reset the door latch assembly. If nothing resets the door lock, then you just need to manually open the door and replace the door latch assembly. It's not easy to manually unlock the door. You'll need to use a coat hanger and pull the latch assembly from RIGHT to LEFT by slipping it down between the door and the oven frame at the top. Force the latch over to the left and open the door, then you can remove the panel in front of the door latch and replace the latch assembly.

Now I do want to also add that you may need something stronger than a coat hanger to manually open the door. If you have an "L-shaped" tool like a cotter pin puller or allen wrench, that might give you the added strength to be able to pull on the latch and release it.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.