Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

The stovetop elements on my ge profile range won't heat up.

Hi - the stovetop...

Hi - the stovetop elements on my ge profile range won't heat up. Is this an easy fix?

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Model PCB969SR1SS. it's about 3 yrs old.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If it's simple enough, yes.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

When i try to turn one of the elements on, the hot surface warning light comes on, but the element doesn't heat up

3/6/2018
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

If you select the broil for the oven, does the top broil element get red hot?

I didn't check the broiler element, but the oven seems to work fine.

It would be pretty odd to have all the top burners not heat but the oven to work okay. However, if that is the case, the issue has to be wiring related. I would pull the range out and remove the rear access panels. Check all wiring from the bottom where the cord attaches to the top where the burner controls are. It is most likely that the breaker has tripped one side. Turn it totally off and back on a few times to reset. If still no heat and all wiring looks good, please let me know.

If you would be so kind, would you please remember to rate my service USING THE STAR SCALE at the top or the bottom of the page before you leave today? You may post back at anytime with follow up questions. Please let me know how I may earn your 5 star rating! Thank you so much!

I'm not at home, but my wife just confirmed that the oven broiler element works. When we turn on one of the stove burners, both the indicator light and the 'hot surface' light come on, but the stove top element doesn't heat up.
on the very top of the display, there is a 15A fuse. Could the problem be related to that?

Okay, so there is a problem in the wiring at the elements. You will likely find a wire burnt off but if it all looks okay, you will need a meter to test voltage with. Let me know what you see back there! :)

Isn't it odd that none of the 4 elements work? You'd think a wiring problem might affect 1 element, but all 4??

Well, both the L1 and L2 supply wires go in to one switch then are piggybacked to the rest. So if one wire burns off the first switch, the rest will not get power, either.

I won't be able to investigate this further until I get home later this afternoon. But thanks for your help.

Sure, thank you!

Kelly, Appliance Technician