Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My Samsung RFG237AAWP freezer is not cold at all and fridge…

My Samsung RFG237AAWP freezer...

My Samsung RFG237AAWP freezer is not cold at all and fridge isn't that cold. I took off back panel behind fridge and the fan is working. Just really dusty on the coils.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Samsung is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

RFG237AAWP/XAA. Not sure how old, we had it for 3 years and was owned by previous owner.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes if I can.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The fridge has the constant humming sound like it is working. The fan is working and round Black thing (compressor?) is warm to the touch.

3/7/2018
Webb-Guy
Webb-Guy, Handyman

Hello, and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I will be the one to assist you. Sorry to hear that you are having this trouble. I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question if you are still needing help that is?

Hello. I took off the back panel behind the fridge and cleaned the dust off the coils, the fan is running and the compressor is warm to the touch. I looked at the computer panel and there is a small red light. I have unplugged the fridge for 5 mins then plugged back in. I pressed the two upper right/left buttons on board on the front of fridge for 10w
Oop. For 10 sec and there were four 8s displayed. The current temp of freezer is 66 & the fridge is 57. I'm hoping I don't need to buy new fridge.
my fridge stopped making ice.

you had 4 8's displayed? What is the model number of your unit?

Samsung RFG237AAWP

is the energy saver and lighting the two top buttons on your unit?

try holding them for 5 seconds at the same time again please. Let me know what happens.

Ok. After the 5 sec the display blinked multiple times then back to normal

so its normal again?

on the display is the energy saver, sound icon filter & crushed ice icons.

When you say normal again are you saying its working as it should? ?

Normal as it looks the same as it has been. The freezer is at 66 & fridge is 57 degrees. And it hasn’t been producing ice. The

ok is the fan in the freezer running and what about the the compressor in the back is it running and is it running hot or warm?

The fan behind the fridge is working. The compressor is warm to the touch. And the fridge sounds like it’s running...it has the constant humming sound.
Is the doors sealing properly?
The only thing that makes sense at this point is your main control board has failed and is going to need to be replaced. Nothing else could be causing this problem.
That’s what I thought. But is it worth it? And is it something I could replace myself?
It is something you can replace your self it just unplugs from the back and you plug it in the same way it came out.
Do you have any idea where I can order from?
https://www.searspartsdirect.com/part-number/DA41-00617B/0046/401.html?sid=ps:GOOGLE:LKA_PN_Refrigerator_Exact:User%20Controls:da41-00617b&k_clickID=5c90f2d6-a307-43e6-82b4-c32ca0ad1986&kenibpid=p.590.5c90f2d6-a307-43e6-82b4-c32ca0ad1986.1798876&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI94qv58Xb2QIVCLjACh2WqQA0EAAYASAAEgKbavD_BwE
Do you think it’s worth replacing verses buying a new fridge?
I mean honestly Samsung is a bad brand so I always recommend not buying them but of course it’s up to you if you want to replace and hope it works or not. I do however hope that I have earned a 5 star rating from you this evening. Rating does not stop you from getting back to me in the event you need me.
Webb-Guy
Webb-Guy, Handyman
Ok thank you