Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Wsm2420sazww dryer won't run. Ge wsm2420sazww 20 years. Not…

Wsm2420sazww dryer won't run ...

Wsm2420sazww dryer won't run

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of your dryer? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Ge wsm2420sazww 20 years

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not yet

start switch is good, door switch is good question? do I have to remove the back panel to test thermal fuse? attached to right side of motor is starter block? or whatever, wires on top and bottom reads 120v across black and red at bottom, but nothing across black and red at top of block, starter switch pushed or not, timer in on position
2 hours now would be nice to know somebody's on it
3/6/2018
Ray, Home Appliance Technician
Hi, I’m Ray and would be happy to help you. Does a light come on when you open the door?
This unit doesn’t have a light. Put a meter to door switch. It’s good
What is the function of the wiring block attached to the dryer motor
There’s a belt switch that goes to it. Any voltage coming out of the start switch when you press it?
I am not near the unit. Rental house. I did not check for voltage at the start switch just continuity of switch itself. What should I should I expect 120 v?
Would really like to connect when I’m with the unit. Anytime tomorrow work for you?
120. Any time is good
How do we connect? I would like to send you a picture of the motor in hopes we can establish whether thermal fuse is good from meter readings as the exploded view looks like you access thermal fuse from the rear which is very tough where this unit is installed
I’m sorry, I was looking at the wrong diagram. Yes, the back panel comes off, close to where the air out is there is the thermo fuse and it’s white. The two thermostats will all the what to the right. Usually if one of those two to the right is bad it won’t start. Disconnect the wires then check continuity
You’re not reading what I’m writing. I will text tomorrow to see if you’re available before I go to the unit. Have a good evening
Ok. Thanks
Sending 2 photos timer and motor. Start switch has no voltage at one pole and 1 volt at other pole with timer on, door switch jumped meter to each pole and ground
Ray says you're online. did you get my text?
This expert was sure available when I paid for the phone call
Hello, I’m sorry for getting back late. Had issues with internet services all day from the storm. If you put a meter on each side of the switch then press start do you get 120 volts?
I put one lead of the meter to ground and the other to one side then the other side of the switch 0 on one side and minimal voltage on the other. Timer on, door switch jumpers
There is no juice coming to the switch. Does it come directly from the timer? I know from readings that the circuit goes through the door switch. Tried to find a schematic online, no joy
Did you check the thermostats? I’m trying to find a wiring diagram on that model. Some models if the thermostat or thermo fuse blows it kills power to the start switch. It’s not the timer
I downloaded the service manual today. No schematic. No troubleshooting on the dryer except that they have several pages on the thermostat. It is accessible unlike the thermal fuse which I can’t get to without a ton of work. Can I check continuity on the thermostat?
It would be great if you found schematic as I have access to plug on back wall which leads to thermal fuse
it’s hard to find info on older machine. You have to thermostats on it
Will they have no continuity if they’re bad?
Two
Correct
Will you be available tomorrow?
A thermostat that’s bad is like a blown fuse
Good to know
Ok thanks. Have a good night
One last thought. In my mind I would think that thermostat would be heat mechanism control rather than affect motor starting
Most are like that but some models stop the power to the start button/timer
Ok we’ll know tomorrow
Ray. Are you available?
Took front washer panel off hoping for schematic. What a pain!!! Managed to spin washer in place and have back off. Will get back to you. Please watch for me. Thanks!
Thermal fuse. No continuity!! Can I hope? Will get back to you
It’s bad then

Hello, How did you make out with the dryer?

Still waiting for part

oh ok.

Ray, Home Appliance Technician