Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

When i turn off the unit and turn it back on, after about 30…

when i turn off the...
when i turn off the unit and turn it back on, after about 30 second i hear a rattle where I believe the compressor is located. the fridge is not cooling well and the freezer just started showing a higher than normal temp (21F). Fridge shos 37 on the display but my temp gauge tells me more like high 40's
3/4/2018
ApplianceTech
ApplianceTech, Appliance Technician

Hello and thanks for using JA!

My name is ***** ***** I have been repairing appliances for over 40 yrs and I will be assisting you tonight in trying to find out why your appliance is not working. Sometimes, there will be lapses in my replies back to your because of the volume of questions I am answering. But, please be assured that I will be giving you my best effort to help solve your problem.
Give me a few minutes to check out the info you have provided, so I can give you an accurate answer.
Thanks

It sounds like you have a problem with the compressor.

You need to pull the refrigerator out from the wall and remove the lower back panel to access the machine compartment. It may be metal or cardboard held in by 4 -6 screws.

Once you get the back off, see if you can locate where the sound is coming from and get back to me.

Don

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The sound comes from the compartment on the TOP of the unit. this model has a panel which opens from the top.

May I ask that you provide me the correct model and serial number off the label on your machine?

Thanks

Don

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
PSB48LGRABV
ser: MM070014

Does the sound appear to be coming from up above the icemaker inside the freezer?

You will need to press the door switch on the side of the freezer so the light go off and the fan come on.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
There's a compartment pane which when opened there is the master switch and the water filter. I believe the compressor is mounted behind a metal panel. i think the compressor is mounted behind it.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
pane = panel. lets resume this tomorrow. seems like the freezer is down to 0deg but the fridge side says 38 on the display but my temp gauge (IR) reads 50 inside.

Yes that is correct. The compressor is located up on the right side of the machine compartment. You have to remove the grill to get a look at it.

My thought is if the freezer is warming up, then you may have problem with the compressor, but there are other things that will cause the same symptoms. The cooling fan up by the compressor may not be running causing the compressor to overheat. You can have a frost build up on the cooling coil on the left side above the freezer section. Ice can build up and hit the fan making a noise. You would hear that louder inside the freezer above the icemaker.

I have worked on a number of these refrigerators and to be honest they are a challenge even for a seasoned technician. They are quite expensive to replace (around 8k) so it may pay to get a qualified tech to fix it for you. I would advise you to seek a tech that is factory certified by GE, because if he hasn't work on one these, he can damage more than he will fix.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Actually I think it's on the left. But where would the fan be? Ice buildup is not an issue since I totally defrosted it overnight jane disassembled the upper panel inside the fridge to expose the condensation drain. Everything was frozen so I used a hair drier to defrost and clear what seems to be able air channel that was totally blocked by ice as well. So my theory is a bad fan. Just don't know where to look.

The fan is above the coil which is above the pan you saw.

Here is a blow up of the evaporator compartment. click here

#304 is the fan

As you can see it is above the cooling coil.

You need to remove the drip pan to get access to the fan.

I hope you feel I have given you my best effort with your refrigerator but if you still have questions, just come back after rating my help.

Just Answers asks that you operate on the honor system for technician ratings. and this is how I make my living. May I ask that you please take a moment to rate my service positive for JA by selecting a Rating Star (3-5) link on the top or bottom of your screen before you leave today.

Even though you paid JA or Pearl to ask your question, they will not pay me until you have given a positive rating for my help.

Once you rate my help you will be "locked in" so you can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge if you still need assistance.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to help you out!

Don

I noticed that you did not give me a rating on my help to you for your refrigerator .

Was there anything else I can answer for you on this problem?

If not, Just Answers asks that you operate on the honor system for technician ratings. and this is how I make my living. May I ask that you please take a moment to rate my service positive for JA by selecting a Rating Star (3-5) link on the top or bottom of your screen before you leave today.

Don

ApplianceTech
ApplianceTech, Appliance Technician
ApplianceTech
ApplianceTech
ApplianceTech, Appliance Technician