Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a whirlpool top with an exhaust fan. It blows air…

I have a whirlpool...

I have a whirlpool cook top with an exhaust fan. It blows air instead of sucking it out. Is this a Easy fix

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

20 years or so. Model rc8900xx

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If I can

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not that I can think of

2/20/2018
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

My name is Woody.
I`m sorry to hear that your having issues!
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.
Please note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient.
Also the website will send you a phone call offer that is not from me!

Did this just start happening ?

And does this fan exhaust to the outside of the home?

It was that way when we bought the house. Yes, it vents to the outside

ok this motor is not reversible .

So I would have to assume that it was installed incorrectly or the fan is running the correct rotation and the venting to the outside is blocked and thus the air is flowing back into the home.

but on that blower motor it one turns one direction so it is not an issue with the blower motor itself .

do you have any other questions for me today?

What should I look at first

I would take the blower assembly out from under the cooktop and leaving it hooked up to electrical harness and turn the fan on if it blows out and not in it is the venting . it is not possible for the fan to run backwards unless it was installed backwards

And if the vent runs under the house floor and you have a concrete slab there is not much you will be able to do other then run a new vent under the house and outside.

Installed have been known to use metal venting underground and it will eventually rust out and collapse and thus no air flow.

And I have seen the venting fill with water and restrict the airflow also.

If it's blowing the wrong way after checking the vent, what should I check

well you will see if it is blowing the correct direction after you uninstall the blower . if it is blowing the wrong way the motor (the way it is installed will need to be rotated 180 degrees like from left to right .

If it is the venting then you will need to find why it is blocked or replace the venting

Problem fix. Vent cap was not workingTh

Great glad I could assist you .

Always glad to assist you anytime.

Thank you in advance.

If you need me again for any other issues you can request me Master Tech.

And Even after you rate me Today if you have a question just reply back to me,
I will still assist you, no extra charges .
But rating me 5 STARS is the ONLY way I get paid for my time. I do not get compensated until you rate me.

Master Tech