Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My limit thermostat is bad again on my electric dryer.

Customer Question
My limit thermostat is...

My limit thermostat is bad again on my electric dryer. Replaced it about 4 months ago. Noticed the plastic connectors that connect into the limit thermostat have burn marks on them. What could be causing this and is it safe to try put another limit swithc in?

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of your dryer? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

It is a Roper and model number is *****

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes. already tested the limit thermostat with multitester and is bad.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Checked vents for lint and were clear.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/6/2018
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 4 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

If your high limit thermal cut out is failing, first make sure your vent through the hose isn't clogged. Other than that, if the connectors have burn marks on them, the terminals going to the high limit thermostat need to be cut off and replaced. These terminals tend to blacken if they make a poor connection with the thermostat connectors. That can cause the thermostat to heat up and fail as well so that may be your problem all along, but I'd check and make sure the vent is clean as well.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Just to clarify the terminals are the plastic pieces on the end of the wires that connect into the thermostat

Correct yes. You will need to cut the terminals off and install new ones. You can get new ones at any local hardware store like Lowes or Home Depot or ACE