Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a Frigidaire Fridge and the Fridge section of lights…

I have a Frigidaire...

I have a Frigidaire Fridge and the Fridge section of lights won't come on when then doors are open and we have a "SY", "CE" and "CF" code

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Frigidaire is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

The fridge is a two years old and its model number is *****

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes. I troubleshoot large aircraft wiring problems as my job but, we have better diagrams and manuals

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Well I don't see a switch for the door that the wiring diagram doesn't show, I'm wondering wait tells the lights to turn on. The internet is saying there is a "Communication Failure" so, I want to eliminate that as an issue

1/23/2018
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Error SY CE CF means that your have a communication error and the condenser fan motor isn't running properly. I would first pull the refrigerator forward and remove the lower back access panel to see if the fan next to the compressor is running. If not, then replace the fan motor. Otherwise, most likely the main control board under your refrigerator is just giving you a false CF error because there is a communication issue. You can try to unplug the refrigerator, remove the main control board under the refrigerator behind the vent panel below the doors and make sure all the wires connections are secure. Re-apply power and if the error comes back, replace the main board. Below is a link to the main control board you'd need to order for your model.

CLICK HERE for control board

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

I've done all that and the fan is running. Can you answer what turns the lights on, I don't see a switch anywhere. And the freezer lights turn on.

OK then I think it's time to replace the main control board. There are magnetic reed switches built into the walls so the door seal magnets trigger them when you open and close the door.

Those can't be the problem? How to I get to the switches?

No, those are definitely NOT your problem. The doors would have to be taken off and the hinges removed access the switches. Again, no point in do anything with the door switches---this has absolutely nothing to do with your switches, you're looking in the wrong direction. The main board controls everything so it can cause weird things to act up.

I just wanted to make sure by seeing the switches make and break continuity at the board but, the wire diagram doesn't show the switches. I was hoping for a cheaper repair. I guess I'll have to get a board

I wish it were something inexpensive as well but the only cheap solution for this issue is to check the wire connections to the board. If that all checks good, the board just needs to be replaced.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Hello, I got an email that said I could "return to the conversion", I hope I can or will I be charged again because, I replaced the control board and it didn't fix the problem
Hello Tyler, I don't know if your remember our conversation but, I replaced the main control board and it didn't fix the problem.
Is there anything else you can suggest. I would really like to know whether the board is getting all its signals but, the wiring diagram I found doesn't show everything. Can you help

Hello again. So at this point are you getting the SY CE or SY CF?

The new board is in and I have the SY CF codes and no lights in the fridge. The fridge seems to be operating normally otherwise. What do you think? Do you think the fridge wrecked a board?

SY CF is an error for the condenser fan motor. I would replace the condenser fan motor now. The CE was a communication error which I figured was causing the SY CF error as well, but apparently not. Replace the fan back by the compressor and you should be good to go again.

Just to be sure we're talking about the same thing. You're talking about the fan that is blowing air over the coils in the back, right?

That is correct yes

Okay, I'll try it. Thanks

No problem and good luck.

Hello again Tyler. I replaced the fan motor and still no lights and I still have the SY and CF message. No what?

Hmm, I would return the main board control board and get a new one because other than a bad display board giving off a false error, there really isn't another option that can cause the SY CF error.

What is the chances it is a display board? It only has three wires to it. I press the buttons on it and it resets the alarm when it goes off after turning the power back on and if I press the temp up and down buttons the display shows the number and I can change it up or down. I live in Canada and they won't let you return electrical/electronic parts once used. Is there some way to be sure it is the board? I still am very confused why the lights aren't coming on but the freezer light does?

Hard to say at this point, you're getting into uncommon territory to say the least. No way to test this issue whatsoever. The lights not coming on is odd too but that sounds like a main board.

Could not changing the filters cause this? I did check continuity from the board to the fan and ton the display board but, there was no issues there. I just don't want to put another board in it and find out something with it the fridge is wrecking main control boards. Is there some values to check with the main control board removed to make sure everything is within tolerances?

Nothing is ever listed about the boards so there really isn't anything you can check as far as that goes. Also, nothing other than the fan motor itself could cause the board to fail so even if that was the case, you have replaced the fan motor so if that was an issue then replacing the main board again would mean it definitely wouldn't run into another problem.

The door switches stuck in the closed position, couldn't cause a "CE" communication error code? If the fan motor was wrecking the control board, is there a way to verify that with a multi meter?

It could not, no. But if you wanted to pry the door switch out and test it you could test it.

How do you get to the door switches?

Couldn't say without being there since they aren't shown on the breakdown diagram.

I know I don't see them either and I don't see them connect to the main board in the wiring diagram. I just checked all the wires to the control board against the wire diagram and they are all there no extras wires. There are magnets on both doors at the bottom, do you think the switches could be in the fridge or in the doors?
Hello Tyler. I just received another main control board and no change. So just to remind you, i replaced the main control board with no fix, then I replaced the Condenser fan motor with no fix and now another main control board with the new fan motor and still no fix. It still has the SY and CF codes. What's next!

Not sure what to say you have to have a problem with the wire harness. You may need a technician to come out and it may not be repairable.

I have a technician, you. What should I be looking for. Do you want me to wiggle harnesses, check things for power and continuity. Tell me what to do and I can do it. I'm an Aircraft Maintenance Engineer by day and if troubleshot hundreds of wiring defects but, I have way better manuals.
Hello Tyler do you think there could be something with the ice maker or the main inlet water valve? It is in the same circuit as the condenser fan motor?
I'm not sure how a harness could be the problem, the fridge is only 2 1/2 years old and its not like there is a lot of vibration to wreck the harness. Which harness are you thinking has the problem with it, the one to the condenser fan or the one to the user interface? I've checked both and the continuity was perfect.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc