Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

We have a Kitchenaid Refrigerator Model KSCS25INSS00. A few…

We have a Kitchenaid...

We have a Kitchenaid Refrigerator Model KSCS25INSS00. A few weeks ago our ice maker and water dispenser quit working. We hadn't replaced the water filter in sometime and assumed that this was the problem. Today I purchased a new water filter and replaced the old filter with the new filter, but we are still not getting any water to the water dispenser or ice dispenser. Thinking that perhaps the waterline was frozen, we've completed emptied the refrigerator and freezer, turned off the power and have had both doors open for about three hours now. The interior panels of the freezer feel to be about room temperature at this point, but we are still not getting any water. Any thoughts?

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your KitchenAid is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

We purchased this refrigerator new in 2006. Its model number is *****

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

So far we've been doing it ourselves.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not that I'm aware of.

1/21/2018
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

Do you hear the valve energizing when you press the dispenser?

OK if you remove the quick connector from the lower door hinge and press the dispenser briefly does water spray out?

No, when I disconnect the quick connector near the lower freezer door hinge and press the dispenser, no water comes out.

OK then disconnect the water line at the valve and try it also have you made sure the water to the unit is good?

I'm not sure where the valve is located. In the meantime I will check the water supply.

The valve is behind the unit where the water connects

All I ask is...Please remember to use the RATING LINK ON YOUR PAGE by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today. Even though you paid the site they will not disburse any part of it to me until you supply a good rating. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

I checked on the water supply and it is good. I'm now trying to locate the valve. The waterline from the wall connects to the housing for the water filter. Is the valve part of that housing, or is it beyond (downstream of) the filter?

It should be in the lower right corner when you are behind the unit, you should be able to follow the fill tube down the back of the unit right to it. Here is what it looks like...CLICK HERE

Thanks I found it, but I'm not sure how the disconnect the incoming line without somehow taking the side panel off of the unit. I can access both discharge lines (I assume one is for water and the other is for the ice), but I'm not sure how to disconnect either of those lines to see if water comes out of the valve.
Also, I did rate you with a good rating.

If you press the ring in pn the valve and pull the tubing out it will come out of the valve.

You should see a rating link on the top or bottom of your page. That is the only way you can do a rating.

Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
I'm still having a problem disconnecting the hose from the valve. The ring doesn't seem to press in. I'll keep working on it.
OK - we finally were able to disconnect the hose to the valve, and we are NOT getting water to the valve.

Check the water to the unit and if it is ok check and change the filter

The water to the unit is good and I just replaced the filter with a new filter.

Do you have water to the center connector on the valve?

No, we do not have water to the center connector on the valve. The blockage seems to be between the filter and the valve. Or perhaps I purchased a bad filter.

Yes the filter could be bad or the check valve in the filter housing is the issue.

I've reseated the filter a few times to make sure that I had it installed correctly and when I remove the new filter, water drains from one of the two ports in it, so water is getting to the filter, but may not necessarily be getting through the filter. Would that eliminate a problem with the filter or could there still be a problem with the filter.

I doubt the filter is bad the check valve in the filter body may just have something stuck in it, that happens a lot. Here is a link to a new one...CLICK HERE

I reseated the filter a fourth time and water immediately began to flow out of the hose to the valve, so I don't know if there was something stuck in the check valve that was dislodged or if for some reason the filter wasn't seated properly the first three times? Anyway, since we had water flowing to the valve I thought that we were good to go, except then I discovered that the disconnect coupling on the inlet of the water valve was broken (probably when I took it apart) and it won't connect to the hose coming from the filter assembly. Do I need to just buy a whole new valve assembly or can I just purchase the inlet component of the valve assembly? I took it apart by removing the four screws attached through a metal plate. It's a relatively small piece, but I suspect that they probably don't sell it separately. What do you think?

What is broken on it? Can you send a pic of what is broken?

can I text the pictures to you?

Do not worry about that just put the large black ring back in the valve and push the hose in it, it will be fine and lock in place.

It was the ring that broke and the hose won't lock into place anymore.

If you need one just go to a hardware store and buy a 1/4 quick connector and pop one out of the quick connector to use or you would have to buy that whole valve.

Great! I will go pick that up tomorrow. Thanks so much for your help. Have a great evening.

You too.