Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Cabrio Platinum dryer shutting off. Whirlpool. Model

Cabrio Platinum dryer shutting...

Cabrio Platinum dryer shutting off

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of your dryer? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Whirlpool

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Model WED8800YCO about 6 years old

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Runs about 10 min and shuts off. New motor now it is giving me a Check Vent light but it is clear

1/21/2018
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

Does it run any longer in timed dry?

Have not tried that
i just turned it on timed dry will let you know

Try that and let me know what happens.

just cut off so no it does not make a difference
10 min exactly per the timer
Well it appears to be a temp issue (obviously) it just came on by itself after it cooled off.

OK is the vent blowing air out of the back of the unit?

very well.
I pulled it off and checked it after it gave me the Check Vent light.
it has a hard 90 degree out of the dryer and its about 26" out the wall.
the vent tube is a Hard flex not those cheap flex foil ducts

OK does it seem to drain every time? Sometimes those pumps go bad and then do not run all the time when they are suppose to you need to check it for power when you getting the LD code.

Drain ?
this is a Dryer issue

Oh I am sorry that was the wrong post, not for you is it blowing at the outside hood good? Go and check for sure while it is running.

I assumed that
Yes that was the first thing i checked .

OK have you checked the temps on the outlet to see if it is overheating?

what temp should i be expecting?
it is getting hot, i have a temp gum what temp and where would you like it taken at
temp gun stuck into the dryer vent from the outside 123 deg f
inside the dryer after it cuts off. 110 deg, the metal grate in the back i assume is where the heat if entering the drum 144 deg

Measure right out of the dryer you should see about 150 degrees if you only see 123 I would suspect and internal blockage. Check the ductwork out as you may have a blockage internal or the felt seals on the drum are bad.

where would you suspect an internal blockage to be?
i just had this whole thing apart Friday and installed a new motor.
also i took the vent tube off and it did not make a difference

In the front duct to the blower typically. Does it run any longer in airfluff?

I have an Air Only
i will try that

Ok thanks

ok 6 min into air only it just shut off

SOunds like the motor is overheating is the drum dragging on something? I would say either there is some drag on the motor or the motor is not wired right.

Not sure how it could be wired wrong . It is a single plug plus 2 blue wires
the drum seems free. It has 3 Rollers and it seems to be free
I just rotated it it feels free. i also opened the top and cheched the belt and felt

You said you changed the motor out right?

Friday
I just raised the lid and started it on High Heat
Pointing the temp gun at the back of the drum ( with the lid up 219 deg about where the hot air would be going into the drum
drum is running about 140 deg and about 6 min it cut off with the top off (up)

Yes but on airfluff this would not be a heat issue, it sounds like the motor is overheating and shutting down.

i understand what you are saying.
it was doing this so i replaced the motor Friday.
today is the first time i used it with the NEW motor, and it is doing the exact same thing.
Question, does the thermo, high temp cut off or thermo fuse shut down the dryer or just the heating element?
this is the Cabrio Platinum not sure if things are different on this model. i know the Vent trap and Blower set up are different

There is a thermofuse inline with the motor, but that would not be the issue as if it were to open it does not reset. Check out of the main control board from the P9-1 (Lt Blue wire) to gournd for 120 volts when it shuts down. If you have power to it then you have a motor issue. If not you may have something wrong with the motor relay on the board. The contact could be bad in the motor relay causing it to kick out, but you need to check with a volt meter to see.

All I ask is...Please remember to use the RATING LINK ON YOUR PAGE by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today. Even though you paid the site they will not disburse any part of it to me until you supply a good rating. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

120 v going into the board or 120 v out of the board?
ok so i hooked up a meter i have 143vac on the blue wire running and when it shut off i still have 143vac on the blue wire on P9

143 volts? That would be too much check the power at the outler

Incoming power leg 1 to ground 143 leg 2 to ground 144 L1-L2 287

That is way too high. You have a power issue to the unit this is your issue causing the motor to overheat I am surprised the board is still working.

it has been this way for 6 years
High voltage means low amperage High voltage is better than low voltage means high amperage.
what else would it be if this is not the issue, because i can not change that with out the power company changing the transformer
Remember the motor is not overheating because as you instructed me i still have voltage on blue wire when the dryer shuts off.

If you have power there on that wire the motor is shutting off on the internal motor overload. The motor is overheating and I think it is due to the high voltage. There is a thermal overload that is in the motor itself and once the winding cools it will run again. If you want to see just leave it sit once it shuts off do not touch anything does it start back up eventually on its own? If so the motor is overheating.

you are telling me i got a bad motor and if i order another $150 motor this will fix it.
the High voltage is not an issue. it has beet this way for 13 years that i have lived here.
So how do i determine for sure the motor Thermister is shutting off. What wire is controlling that?
what wire come up fro the Safetys ( thermo cut out , Thermister, ect)

143 volts is not normal at all you may want to double check it with another meter. Motors will tolerate a certain change in voltage above the design voltage. However, extremes above the design voltage will cause the amperage to go up with a corresponding increase in heating and a shortening of motor life. When the unit shuts off just leave it sit and if it starts up again on its own the unit is tripping off on the thermal limit in the motor, so that would mean the motor is overheating due to a sever drag on the motor or the voltage is creating a problem with the motor.

ok

Please remember to use the RATING LINK ON YOUR PAGE by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today. Even though you paid the site they will not disburse any part of it to me until you supply a good rating. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Just remember moving forward the higher the voltage the lower the amperage and vice verses lower the voltage the higher the amperage. this motor did not have 10 min on it when it shut off the first time . this is the same issue i was having from the old motor and i completely disassembled this machine , ie: drum on the floor . so i do not think voltage is an issue and i do not know why it would be dragging on.
i guess i will just call a service technician

The motor is overheating for some reason and I have no idea why you would have 143 volts for incoming power that does not make sense. If it is not dragging on anything then the motor is not wires right and you have both windings activating, at this point I would appreciate a rating for my time. thanks

Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician