Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Kenmore, 596.58632890, probably from around 1993 or 94. I…

Kenmore, 596.58632890, probably from around...
Kenmore, 596.58632890, probably from around 1993 or 94. I have repaired it before with help from here. I believe I am at a crossroad where I need to decide whether I fix it or cut it loose. It stopped cooling again. The first time about 15 years ago: defrost timer, about 8 years ago: defrost timer, this time I found that the condenser fan had also stopped running. I am not sure how long the fan was out so I am unsure of heat or other stress related issues that may have developed (?). Anyway, I replaced the defrost timer and fan and she went through an entire cycle and proper operation for about 24 to 36 hours and then settled in with a temp of about 40F in the freezer and the refrig looks to be about 10 to 15 degrees warmer so the whole thing is cool but by no means "cool" enough. It does sound like it is under too much strain, the timer seems to be cycling properly as the freezer warms considerably during the defrost cycle and then will pull back down to about 40 to 44 once it cycles back into operation. The compressor does not seem to be excessively hot. I can feel it running, the temp is slightly different on the upper half from the lower. So my question for you all is what do you think is wrong? It seems to me to indicate a loss of Freon or loss of some amount of compression capability. If the refrig Freon is like in our cars where we have moved on to a different Freon type that could run into some conversion costs on top of actual repair. Any compressor / Freon related work will have to be done by a professional so the hourly rate in addition to the parts and materials could suggest the best option is to move on to another refrig. I really like the layout of this one so I am open to suggestions on what it could be and your thoughts on fix of move on. Thank you, ***** ***** involved.
1/22/2018
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

The behavior you are seeing is indicative of a low refrigerant level. If you look directly behind the compressor, there is a copper line that is sitting in the plastic drain pan. That is where these usually leak. That line will typically be green and corroded looking when they start to fail. Is that line green and corroded looking?

No, first there is no tube going into the drain pan from the compressor. There is one short line on the side that is closed off. I assume that is where you would connect to charge but it looks fine. There are a couple of spots where the copper line looks like a little green has built up on it but nothing that strikes me as an obvious problem. The other lines on the compressor: the upper leads up into the back of the freezer area - no issues, and the lower looks to be the lead to the condenser coils - no issues there and I have cleaned the cond coils already.
Also, their is an error in my initial message: the refrig DOES NOT seem to be straining to function, it sounds fine. nothing is overly hot, nothing smells hot, there isn't a lot of warm/hot air behind the box from the fan or anything like that. ??

The larger line (5/16") is behind the compressor (toward the front of the refrigerator). Can you post a picture of what you see?

I think I can send you a shot via a reply to the text on my phone, it will take me a while but I will get it to you.

Yu can use the ADD FILE button on the text box or email to***@******.*** and they will forward it to me. Thank you!

did the video get to you?

No, if you emailed it, there is usually a delay in forwarding.

I sent it from my phone. I will get it onto my computer and attach it to a reply via mail. Maybe one method will get through to you.

If you use the ADD FILE button it will be the fastest. Sorry for the hassle....

I have it on my computer now but it isn't "adding" the file when I tell it to. I have tried several times but keep getting this error: We're sorry – an unknown error occurred. Please try again. When I try to attach it to the email in my inbox in a reply it says the file is too big for the server but the clip is only about 30 seconds long??

Can you upload to You Tube and send me the link?

Here is what I can see.

I don't see anything, sorry....

working on a you tube for you stand by.

Thank you!

https://youtu.be/RQto6D-OOIU try this link.

Got it, thank you. If you look at the bottom of the compressor, on the side opposite of the part you see looking from the back of the cabinet, you should see a line down by the bottom.

okay, cking now
no, nothing. I stuck my hand in through all that tubing and rubbed the back side of the comp - found nothing, can see nothing. I think we need to move on past trying to see that line - it isn't going to happen. So I am back to my original question regarding the Freon. With a standard service call to recharge (leak test?) the comp, ballpark, what do you think I'm looking at $ wise. I like this box but need to make a decision based on cost to repair vs move on to a good used box. This is my "other" refrig. the main one is fine so I am not losing food or anything but I do need to get this big mama out of the house if she is done.
I might be able to stick a mirror in there and be able to see the back side of the comp if you still think we need to.

I am confident it is low on refrigerant, so that repair will run about $300 + parts. At around 20 years old, I would replace the refrigerator.

I think that is a good ballpark guess and consistent with my fears. Ok, let's close this out and call it done. I suspected as much but wanted someone with more experience to review the situation and make sure there wasn't another component suspect other than the comp to get me back to full functionality. Thank you Kelly for your efforts and opinion based on your knowledge.

You are very welcome, thank you!

If you would be so kind, would you please remember to rate my service USING THE STAR SCALE at the top or the bottom of the page before you leave today? You may post back at anytime with follow up questions. Please let me know how I may earn your 5 star rating! Thank you so much!

Kelly, Appliance Technician
Kelly, Appliance Technician