Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I'm working on a top load whirlpool washer model Number

I'm working on a top...
I'm working on a top load whirlpool washer model Number WTW57ESVW0. Just trying to confirm if it's the transmission. I put the cycle in heavy duty cycle and allowed it to agitate I was able to hold the bottom agitator with my hand from moving, the transmission shaft was moving or humming. If this machine was stuck on slow agitation would I still be able to hold the bottom agitator from moving? The grooves on the bottom the bottom agitator do you not look worn.
1/21/2018
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

If the washer still spin and it just won't agitate and you remove the agitator and it's not stripped out, unfortunately you definitely have a bad transmission and the entire transmission would need to be replaced.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Thank you

No problem but I'm sorry about the bad news today.

It does agitate back and forth, but I shouldn't be able to hold the bottom agitator still right?

That is correct, you should not be able to hold the bottom still ever if it's agitating.

Thanks again

No problem and good luck.