Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a 20year old kenmore side by side that wasn't

Customer Question
Hi. I...

Hi. I have a 20year old kenmore side by side that wasn't freezing. ice cream more like a milk shake. I've shut it off. Cleaned coils. started up again. it froze water. I added some items and it is cool, but not freezing normally. Strangely, the small containers of water are still frozen.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Kenmore is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

59767990

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

1999

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Appliance
1/20/2018
Appliance Technician: Kelly, Appliance Technician replied 6 months ago
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Can you hear a fan running in the freezer section?

Can you see any frost on the back wall inside the freezer?

to the fan. no to the frost. also, when i unplugged to unit and let sit, there was very little water at bottom. Therefore believe it didn't freeze up the coils.
I didn't take back panel off to inspect the coils.
just went a checked for frost. do see some lite frost on side walls. only noticed when rubbing finger over wall. that seems normal to me???
the fan isn't running now. but think I've heard it before from the outside. not sure i've heard or felt air movement inside freezer.

Can you remove the rear panel from inside the freezer to access the evaporator coil?

not really at the moment. What would I be looking for?

Well, the coil will be frosted, either evenly top to bottom or built up so that it will not allow air to pass over it, or you will find it frosted only in one small area. I suspect the latter is what you will find, one small area of frost. If so, that is a sign of low refrigerant level. Let me know what you find.

i think the fan i've heard is the one pushing air from freezer into frig.

So it is either low on refrigerant or that coil is frozen, blocking air flow.

i think if the coil was frozen, I'd had a bunch of water in bottom of unit when I defrosted it. That make sense?
Isn't there a fan that circulates air within the freezer?

Yes, and you said it was running. That is why I suspect it is low on refrigerant.

I've taken the back cover off. I see consistant frost all over the coils
the evaporator fan is running.
The frost is not built up. Just a very thin layer.

Looking at the control on the left side, is it set very high? If you turn the control all the way to the left (lowest setting), does the air flow increase from the air vent in the upper left corner of the refrigerator?