Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

We have ice cycles forming in refrigerator. We believe we…

Hi We have ice...

Hi We have ice cycles forming in refrigerator. We believe we have turned off the water to the refrigerator What is causing the problem and what do we do?

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?

Kenmore 50994993

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

It was purchased in 2001

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Need to stop the ice from forming or we will have a floor full of water shortly Have turned off valve to ice maker. Thought that was causing problem.

1/20/2018
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

Are they forming on the ceiling or where in the unit exactly?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
All over the side by side freezer. Down back and has filled up produce pan and ice cycles on back racks. Happened in 30 minutes time.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When should I expect a call

Are all the gaskets in good shape and sealing tightly?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
do I need to unplug the refrigerator totally? Will it ruin the entire unit
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Gaskets are sealed tight.

Can you upload a pic of it so I can see it?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are you still available?

You have a massive leak in the icemaker. You need to pull the bin out and remove the icemaker and then check the fill tube, it may be iced up and spraying all the water every time it fills the icemaker all over the bin. Check that out and see.

Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Phone call session started
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If we have cut off the valve to the ice maker would it stop this from happening?

Yes if you shut the water off to the unit it will stop that 100%. You may want to take the bin out and shelves and defrost them and wipe everything down, but that will stop it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you! Will replacing the Valve fix this? Or do we need to install a new ice maker?

You may need a new icemaker or valve, but mainly first check the fill tube to the icemaker it could be iced up or out of position. If the valve is lekaing through you could take the icemaker out and see if water is running through the fill tube when you have the water on to see if that is the issue since it is happening so fast it would sound like a bad water valve leakng through.

Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician