Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a series 80 Kenmore washer, the agitator is not

working properly. The bottom 1/2...
I have a series 80 Kenmore washer, the agitator is not working properly. The bottom 1/2 is gyrating correctly but the top 1/2 is not. It does not move when the bottom section does. I can pull up on it slightly and feel it wanting to grab but I have to help it move back and forth. This is the part that seems to bring the clothes to the bottom to fully engage the clothes into the water. If this is something that can be repaired from he top end, I would like to go after it, if have to get into the body of the whole unit, I'm not sure I want to tackle it. I did take the back of some time ago and learned that it sis a uni-body construction. I'm not sure if its easy to get to the interior and attack the drive train? Any help is appreciated,
1/19/2018
Engineer-Tech
Engineer-Tech, Home Appliance Technician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you. Sorry you are having trouble with your 80 series washer . Please give me a moment to review your question. Please note that it sometimes takes a while to type responses and answers.

This is a well known issue with your washer. There are 4 little gears called agitator dogs that strip out and cause the top part of the agitator to be essentially disconnected from the bottom of the agitator. The part number for the gear set is 80040.

You can get them on Amazon here: http://a.co/a6aLFrs

Since your Kenmore washer is made by WHIRLPOOL there here are a few videos to help you out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRlCO_yEfsc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd-bTgOzhpk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vvvays3ATI

- PLEASE rate my service before you leave today. Since we are on the honor system, Just Answer will only credit me for my time if you rate me positively. By giving me a rating of 4 or 5 stars at the TOP RIGHT of your screen I will provide free follow up questions for this appliance after this session. I am not always online, but answer questions as soon as I see them. So if you don't get an answer right away, don't worry, I log on daily to respond to questions. Thank you.

Engineer-Tech