Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

C and I have a problem with my ge top load washer model

Hello my name is***** and...
Hello my name is***** and I have a problem with my ge top load washer model #wwxr4100t6ww it wash but will not drain for the life of me drain spin but won nt drain water I have change the lid latch drain pump and agitator coupling or bell clean screens in tumbler still water will not drain out what do that sound like Need help wife can t wash
1/19/2018
Engineer-Tech
Engineer-Tech, Home Appliance Technician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you. Sorry you are having trouble with your GE washer . Please give me a moment to review your question. Please note that it sometimes takes a while to type responses and answers.

This is a very common problem with this washer. These models are very prone to getting things caught in the pump. The obstruction can be removed from the pump by popping the front panel off with a putty knife on each side the top of the front panel and then removing the pump (bottom right side in front) and then pulling the obstruction out. It is usually a sock or fluffing from a pillow or comforter. Be sure to unplug the washer before starting. You will need to bail all of the water out first, and then use a shop vac or towels to deal with the rest when you take the hoses off of the pump. Here is a video to help you out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcCW1cCZ9_Q

- PLEASE rate my service before you leave today. Since we are on the honor system, Just Answer will only credit me for my time if you rate me positively. By giving me a rating of 4 or 5 stars at the TOP RIGHT of your screen I will provide free follow up questions for this appliance after this session. I am not always online, but answer questions as soon as I see them. So if you don't get an answer right away, don't worry, I log on daily to respond to questions. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
did you read all the stuff I already changed still will not drain water out

Ok have you checked the drain hose from the pump to the wall?

Ok, what about the input to the drain pump from the tub? There can sometimes be a sock caught at the bottom of the tub - you can access it by taking the hose off of the tub itself.

Also make sure you are getting 110V AC at the pump terminals. If not, then I have seen the timer cause that issue. Also make sure the pressure tube on the left side of the tub is clean and clear - no obstructions.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
what do that look like (pressure tube on left)

Clear flexible tube on left front of tub about 1/3" in diameter - plugged into a rectangular plastic box on the side of the tub.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
okay let me go check that tube take me about 15 or twenty mins be back okay
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
okay I am back pressure hose clear can blow though it

Ok, did you test for voltage at the pump? If you are not getting voltage, I suspect the timer.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
okay this is a puzzle ac to pump is 120.9 pump running

If your pump is running and there is water in the tub - there HAS to be either an obstruction somewhere between the tub and the wall.

Unless the new pump impeller is bad.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
okay once I pull the drain hose off pump from tub all the water will drain I pull drain hose from pump to wall alls clear I said this is a puzzle

It sounds like your pump motor is running, but not the impeller.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
okay on the old pump I could see the impeller it was running had the same problem washing spinning no drain out

If you bring the end of the drain hose to the ground, does water drain out when there is a full tub? If not, there is an obstruction It can be also in that thin plastic tube that is square shaped on some models. There must be an obstruction somewhere.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
okay this washer has one thin square plastic tubing on left rear side that connect to top off tumbler but is open at the bottom not connected to anything

There is a plastic tube going from the pump to the drain hose. That is rectangular in cross sectional shape. That is where there is often an obstruction. I think you have an obstruction somewhere - or a bad impeller.

I will need to log off for the evening - but there has to be a logical explanation - either an obstruction or an insufficiency in the pump (impeller). It has to be there somewhere.

PLEASE rate my service before you leave today. Since we are on the honor system, Just Answer will only credit me for my time if you rate me positively. By giving me a rating of 4 or 5 stars at the TOP RIGHT of your screen I will provide free follow up questions for this appliance after this session. I am not always online, but answer questions as soon as I see them. So if you don't get an answer right away, don't worry, I log on daily to respond to questions. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
okay I have replace that pump with a new one are you saying that pump could be bad no blockage in tube

If there are no blockages from the tub to the wall Anywhere, and the pump runs, the impeller must be bad. Otherwise there must be an obstruction somewhere that you can't see.

Engineer-Tech
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I notice you have to log off but thanks its a new pump I have tore this machine apart clean every drain outlet I can find for obstruction it must be hid mighty good clean screens all that still have same problem when I take drain hose from tub off all the water will drain but with pump running it will not drain thanks and good night ill TRY TOMORROW
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I still have have same problem
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
okay where can it be I have clean every nook an cranny I can find although this is a new pump can it be bad

Ok, do it step by step. Disconnect the wires from the pump. Hook the tube back up from the tub to the pump. Take the hose off of the output of the pump. If you put water in the tub does it come right out of the pump from gravity? If yes, hook the output hose up to the pump and bring the end of the drain hose to the floor. Fill the tub again. Does water come flowing out of the drain hose from gravity? If yes, and you are gettin 120v to the pump, replace the pump again. If no, you definitively have a blockage between the pump output and the end of the drain hose - likely in that thin part of the tube. You can also try disconnecting the output of the pump and pouring water into the output of the drain hose and see if it comes out at the hose right by the pump output.

Also, you should get voltage a the pump measured from one terminal to the other terminal - not from one terminal to ground.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello this is C C you work with me last night about a ge washer an I must say you were right it was a clog in the out drain from pump hard to see cause it was right in that bend the way I found it was I pull the drain off the motor and ran pump water came out pump so then I knew you were on point about the hidden blockage so I found it cleaned it out now washer working like a charm and I just had again Thanks to write and thank you for your advice and help so again Thanks C C

You're welcome. There had to be a logical explanation. Have a good night.

Engineer-Tech
Engineer-Tech