Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have an old [about 40 yr. old] Whirlpool drop in range,

Customer Question
I have an old...

I have an old [about 40 yr. old] Whirlpool drop in range, Model RDE-300P1 and the heating element controls are malfunctioning. How do I replace them?

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

It is ABOUT 35-40 yr. old. Model RDE-300P1.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Maybe but I might have a repair person do it.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I do not think so.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/18/2018
Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 4 months ago
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

My name is Woody.
I`m sorry to hear that your having issues!
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.
Please note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient.

Give me a few minutes to pull up information on this model

ok can you look at the model number once again please?

I do not find a model number of RDE-300P1 in the Whirlpool database.

That probably is because of it's age. That number is ***** the oven of the range.

ok what do you mean by the heating element controls?

Does this unit have an electronic control /clock or do you have knobs that you have to rune for the oven to heat .

The problem is NOT the oven. The controls for the surface heating elements are not working properly.

ok and so it is the surface burners .

And is it all burners or just one specific?

It is the two 6" coils. Not a smooth surface range.
Obviously you are not going to be able to help me. I hope you are not going to charge my credit card since you could not help me.

ok but my question is is it all burners that are not working or just a single burner?

I already told you that it is the two 6" coils.

so it is BOTH coils that are not working or is it just one of the coils!

I is both coils. I already know the problem is the two controls for these two coils, MY problem is HOW do I replace these controls.I don't see how to get to them.
I can not imagine that a NEW Appliance Technician can help me on a 40 year old range.
Appliance Technician: Kelly, Appliance Technician replied 4 months ago
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. Sorry to hear you are having appliance trouble, I know how frustrating that can be! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

On most drop in models, you need to pull the range out to access screws on the sides of the control panel. There are also screws above the oven opening once the door is opened. Some models require the top be lifted to remove screws along the top edge, too. The model you have posted is not coming up and I suspect it may be missing a number. I have microfiche for older models but this is not on any of them. I do find an RDE-3000, though.

Perhaps if you post pictures of the range it will be helpful.

Kelly, Appliance Technician