Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

GE Frontload washer GFWH1400D0WW I recently purchased this…

Customer Question
GE Frontload washer GFWH1400D0WWI recently...
GE Frontload washer GFWH1400D0WWI recently purchased this unit at lowes on clearance, it was so cheap I couldn't refuse it. . I was told that it worked however when I got it home it is not working. The front panel lights up and the first time I tried to use it , it filled with water and went through a couple of rotations and then just went to sleep. The front door locked and would not release . A Ge tech came by and released the door manually , looked around noticed that the diverter was stuck in the "4" position , unplugged it and plugged it back in but got no reaction and then told me to return the unit to the store.I figured I would make an attempt to get the unit working prior to returning it. I found a training bulletin and tried to get the unit into service mode by pressing and releasing "temp,ewash,temp,ewash" within 30 seconds of plugging in the washer , however there was no response.When plugged in the power and other lights go on. When I press start the panel displays a time and cycle . I counts down and the display changes the cycle but nothing happens. The door does not lock unless I press the lock buttonIs there any hope for this unit , or is it a door stop ???
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/18/2018
Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 1 month ago
travis webb

Hello, and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I will be the one to assist you. Sorry to hear that you are having this trouble. I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question if you are still needing help that is?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I still need help
Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 1 month ago

I am sorry I primarily work in the evening time. I was not able to respond until now. Are you still around?

Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 1 month ago

so the door is not locking and it lights up but its not running?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the tech who came manually unlocked the door . the panel lights up and if I press start , the panel counts down the cycles but there is no reaction of the washer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the "lock" light only illuminates if I hold the lock button down , it does not illuminate if I press the start button
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When I first got the machine home it did run , the tub filled with water and the it seemingly went through some cycles but then just went dormant . Since then there is no reaction and the tub still has water in it . If I choose the "drain and spin" cycle the panel will count down , but there is no mechanical reaction
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will be back in 45 min
Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 1 month ago

ok so let me ask you this. Since the tech manually unlocked the door does the door lock again? If its not still locking that can explain a lot.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No it does not lock. When depress the lock button the red light goes on but the door will still open
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When it was stuck locked he put his hand down inside between the drum and the door and yanked on something till there was a loud thud and the door unlocked
Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 1 month ago

ok so when he hit the manual release switch it sounds like your door lock broke and will need to be replaced. This will more then likely be the only issue you are having. The control board is working its willing to do the work just is not able to because its not locking.

Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 1 month ago

https://www.amazon.com/GE-WH10X10006-Door-Lock-Washer/dp/B004H3XUEY​

the price through amazon is about half the price of what other companies are charging.

Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 1 month ago

thi​s isn't the same unit but the same idea for replacing this part.

https://youtu.be/InskOLbvpPs​

Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 1 month ago

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. Rating does not stop you from getting back to me in the event you need me. It has been a pleasure assisting you today.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks for the advice , why would the unit have stopped working in the first place??
Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 1 month ago

we​ll the door lock can break for various reasons. It could have been shut to hard. Could have been something got in there. They tend to fail over time. It could be any manner of things that caused this.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks , I will order the part and advise as to what happens
Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 1 month ago

Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 1 month ago

I noticed that your question is still open and unrated were you needing anything further? If not please do rate with 5 stars at the top so I am credited for my time.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I also tried to put the machine into diagnostic mode by pressing temp/ewash/temp/ewash . the only thing that happens is the display switches between 2.4 and 1.2
Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 29 days ago
It’s sounding like the control board is not telling the lock to lock. Can you check where the lock latches into the door to make sure there is nothing lodged in there keeping it from securely locking?
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Do you mean in the new door latch which is screwed to the frame or in the door itself
Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 29 days ago

the door itself sorry

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
There is nothing impeeding the door lock. It physically shuts solidly . I was trying to get the unit in to test mode . There was water in the which I completely emptied through the filter . Now when I unplug the unit , wait 30 seconds and pug the unit back in again then hit Temp/ewash/temp/ewash within 30 seconds , the unit gives a slight beep but the panel does not light up with any codes.
Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 28 days ago

ok so sadly the problem is with your control board and its needing to be replaced it looks like.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
I had purchased the unit from Lowes, They sent a service tech who determined that the machine was in Demo mode . He got it out of demo mode and then the machine seemed to work. It will go through cycles but will not drain. I just ran it through the spin and drain cycle and it and it counted down, spinning, but did not drain and then just stopped., showing 00:00 on the display . At no time did it seemingly attempt to drain.
Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 23 days ago

ok so its not draining. Have you checked the drain hose and the drain pump for clogs?

Customer reply replied 2 days ago
Hello again,I have been away again and did not get to followup with the washer.
I found a button in the drain pump and once removed the machine started working normally . I ran it about 10 washes and now have other issues. 1) It seems that the washer will not fill with water on most cycles and 2) stops/pauses in the middle of the cycle. It will start to count down by then the start button flashes and I have to push it again to continue the countdown.
Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 2 day ago
Ok I am glad to see the previous issue was taken care of. Here at just answer anything that is a new matter does have to be opened as a separate question though. Please feel free to request me specifically and I will be more then willing to further assist you on this matter.
Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 2 day ago
Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 2 day ago

I​ have been working with you all this time and you negatively rate me for assisting you and getting to the root of your problem? What more were you needing from me. I can only work on the original issue on each thread.

travis webb
travis webb
travis webb