Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a maytag MAH5500BWW front loading machine. The door…

I have a maytag...

I have a maytag MAH5500BWW front loading machine. The door open error code came on and stayed on. I thought the latching mechanism might be stuck; i used a flat head screwdrive to push on the while plastic tab in the latching mechanism but it rotated down and now the door won't close all the way.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

About 15 years old. serial number 88926840AJ. model is MAH5500BWW

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Maybe. i've messed with washers and dryers before and replaced switches a failed parts before. if economically feasible to do it myself, i will

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/18/2018
Nolan Rettig
Nolan Rettig, Home Appliance Technician

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your issues today. Please give me a minute to review your question.

Actually what you will want to do is go to the soap dispenser and towards the front of that look around for a green fishing line looking string, if you pull that string it will unlock the door manually so you can get it closed all the way. See if resetting it that way allows you to run the unit again and if not you may have to replace the door lock assembly.

i found the string and pulled on it. it won't budge
the door is open . the picture you sent looks accurate for what i have. i believe that the plastic tab that locks the door shut (drops down over the U-shaped insert in the door) is rotated down, preventing the door from shutting. pulling on the green string isn't doing anything
no more advice?

Well if you are unable to get it by pulling the wire the next thing to do would be trying to release it manually at the lock. To do this, open the door and on either side there will be two phillips screws, remove those. Then the bottom part of the front panel should hinge out and give you access. Remove the four phillips screws that hold in the dispenser cover and remove that, then on the left and right just under the top lid will be a little L shaped metal bracket that attaches that top down, which should be held in by a 5/16" screw. Remove those and the top should lift up giving you access to the area where the door lock is, you can try to flip it there once you get access to it with a screwdriver to unlock it from that position.

i managed to open the top of the washer and accessed the door locking mechanism. I pushed the button on the right and kept it depressed until the washer finished cycling and quit. I'll put the machine door back on tomorrow.

Alright glad to hear you at least got it unlocked. Hopefully it runs through and you don't have any more issues with it. If for any reason you are still having trouble with it you would need to replace that door lock assembly. If that is the case the part number for that door lock is WP22003593 and it can be purchased HERE or another site online or a local parts place if you have one. Luckily this is the newer door lock assembly and generally doesn't have too many issues with it compared to the older wax motor style ones so you should be alright.

I was happy to assist you with this issue today, if you wouldn't mind taking a moment to rate my service today with the stars along the top of the page it would be greatly appreciated and is the only way I will receive credit for helping you! I always strive for 5 star service and if you do have any more questions after rating me you can always come back to this question and post them

Nolan Rettig
Nolan Rettig, Home Appliance Technician
Thanks. If the assembly acts up once I get it all put back together, I'll likely cut my losses on it and replace the machine. It's 15 years old. I believe I replaced the assembly one before. I found the part on Amazon for $96 total. I'll rate you. Thanks.

Ahh yeah it definitely is a pretty heft chunk for a door lock. Hope it just keeps working for you!