Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a GE French Door refrigerator. It has an LED light…

Customer Question
I have a GE...

I have a GE French Door refrigerator. It has an LED light array inside. The light sometimes wont come on

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

There is no door switch like old fashioned refrigerators. This happens intermittently

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Maybe if its something simple

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It seems that there is some sort of detector that activates with the door that is working intermittently. If I new how to find it and replace it that would my guess.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Appliance
1/16/2018
Appliance Technician: Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician replied 1 month ago
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

Do you have the complete model number off the unit?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is model PFSS6PKWASS and was purchased Dec 2010
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it is model PFSS6PKWASS
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The sensor mechanism is probably inside the top edge best I can tell
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It must sense something through the plastic cover
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
There is no physical plunger button like old style refrigerators
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What I cannot figure out is why it may work properly for days on end, then all of a sudden one day you open up the door and its dark. Then sometimes it may come on and work a while, then it goes off again. Intermittent! Everything else works correctly. The freezer light is not an issue just the refrigerator part.

DOes it happen when you open only one door or both?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
A diagram of how this works might help. And I think each door has a detector since you can open the left or the right door and the light comes on.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I've seen it sometimes when you open the door and the light doesn't come on, but you open one of the inside vegetable drawers, take something out and close the drawer and its like the vibration from closing the drawer makes the light come on.

Hi there,
I was just touching base with you because I have not heard back from you and the question is still open and unrated, I am not credited anything until a good star rating is supplied I would really appreciate it if you could do that thanks!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When the light decides not to work, it doesn't matter which door you open. To make it come on you can often slap the top edge of the refrigerator compartment and the light will turn on.

Have you checked the plugs on the door switches on the top edge of the unit, maybe one is loose or not making good connection.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
not sure how I see those or access them

Yes just remove the caps to get at them do you see the screws to the plastic caps to remove?

Appliance Technician: Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician replied 28 days ago

Hi there,

Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician