Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Lower oven won't heat (upper does) Thermador SCD302ZP/01. 13…

Lower oven won't heat...

Lower oven won't heat (upper does) Thermador SCD302ZP/01

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of your oven? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

13 years old

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Tried new oven sensor - no luck

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/16/2018
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

If your sensor was off far enough that the oven wouldn't heat, that would give you an error code---so your sensor was never an option just fyi.

As for the the 2 possibilities that can cause your problem, either your high limit thermostat is tripped or your sail switch has failed. The high limit thermostat is a 1" round device mounted just behind the door latch above your lower oven. If you flip the breaker off to the oven and unscrew the vent panel that goes across the door latch, you can remove the vent panel. Look behind the latch for the 1" black and silver device. There is a tiny red button on it which you can press to reset the high limit thermostat if it clicks.

Now if it doesn't click, that means that your sail switch has failed. This is mounted below the lower oven behind the vent panel (below the door). Remove the vent panel and you'll see a sail switch on the left side and the right side. The one on the right side is the one for the lower oven so you'll want to replace that.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This sounds very clear. I will try your recommendations, but can't do till later. How do I get you again tomorrow if needed?
Thanks

Just bookmark this page or come back and sign in and then you can come right back to this question and reply where we left off.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK Thank you
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Tyler,
I tried resetting the high limit thermostat but it did not click. I took the bottom vent cover off, but there is no sail switch. Could there be another location for the sail switches? Just for more info, when I turn the lower oven on bake or broil, the fan comes on but no heat or error code.

There are definitely sail switches---and you wouldn't get any error codes. I looked up your diagram again and they are definitely below the oven if you remove the bottom vent below the oven door and look. They look like the part in the link below.

CLICK HERE to see switch

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't know if my model is different, but there are definitely no switches under there. I can see all the way to the back from side to side - nothing. I dbl checked the model SCD302ZP/01 bought in 2003.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yea, I see the my part # 5 which looks like the mount for the switches, but there's really no switches
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Actually, Tyler I don't see part #5, just a tab with 2 holes to maybe attach #5. Also, ther are no wire leads down there

I'm not sure what to say. Maybe take a picture from far away so I can make sure you're in the right area and take a picture close up so I can see inside. There is a paper clip button over this text box you can use to attach files/pictures.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Will do

...

Hmm, I'm not sure what to say. The break down diagram shows they should be there. Sometimes it's on the back of the oven but th entire double oven would need to be pulled out and the back sheet metal panel would need to be removed to see if it's there.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just my luck. I've pulled this out before to replace a control board, so I can do. If & when I do find them, then what? Can I check continuity? Could they be stuck with grease?

Usually they will be stuck with grease and just need to be cleaned yes.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Looks like a weekend project. I'll let you know what I find. Is the switch you linked me to the actual part # I'd need?

That is the actual part number, yes. But the part is no longer made so you'd just have to get something gen***** *****ke a fire place sale switch such as the one in the link below.

CLICK HERE for sail switch

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks, it's been fun
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I pulled the oven & found the sail switches on the back of the ovens. Since my upper oven works, I tested the lower sail switch by plugging it into the upper oven - it worked, so my problem is not the sail switch. Nor is it the high limit thermostat as mentioned before. One other thing I discovered today was a burned out convection heating element on my lower oven. I switched it with the good upper element, but that did not help my problem either (did not know if that was a related symptom or not). I had mentioned I pulled the oven before to replace a control board, but that is not the case, I replaced a transformer.
Any other ideas while I have the oven pulled? thanks

Bypass the lower oven switch and see if it heats. If so then replace the switch. If not then replace the lower oven relay control board.

The board on the right is the lower oven relay control board.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do you have a part # on that? Also,did my 5 star rating get confirmed? thanks

It appears to be part number 00369126

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK, I'll track it down
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc