Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Microwave Model WMH53520AH-1 is malfunctioning. Oven will…

Microwave Model WMH53520AH-1 is...

Microwave Model WMH53520AH-1 is malfunctioning . Oven will not operate. Not sure what step to take.

Contractor's Assistant: What's the microwave's make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Purchased 9/25/14 Model number as provided above

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I will give it a try. Oven has worked intermittently . Worked last evening. Now has stopped again.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

When I press start, it states "oven/close door" There is a small "picture" under the statement . I am wondering if filter change is needed or something like that

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/15/2018
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Unfortunately for you, this issue didn't happen in the first year like many of these units where it would be covered under warranty. It's a well known problem and Kitchen Aid had a lot of these units that failed in this manner recently. There are 3 door switches for safety reasons and the middle door switch with 3 terminals on it is failing which is why it tells you to close the door on the screen and refuses to run. This door switch wasn't durable enough from the factory so the switch has been re-designed to handle more electricity. Either way, the switch will need to be replaced and below is a link to the switch for your model.

CLICK HERE for door switch

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Is this something that I will need a technician for or is it a simple application to install a new switch?

I guess that depends on how handy you are, but if you're handy you can replace the part yourself. Below is a video on how to replace it yourself.

CLICK HERE for video

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc