Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

When I close the refrigerator door the fan comes on and

When I close the...

When I close the refrigerator door the fan comes on and makes a loud noise. When I open the door the fan shuts off.

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?

RF263BEAESR/AA Jan 2016

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If I can

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I don't see any way to get to the fan that's making the noise?

1/13/2018
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

This is actually a very common issue with your refrigerator and the water is accumulating under the deli drawer at the bottom of the refrigerator because the drain line is backing up. If you look at part number 97 in the diagram below, this is the part you need to remove so that you can see the silver evaporator and the drain trough below it. Pull all the drawers out and remove this panel. The panel has screws along the bottom and up the center of that panel. There will be ice behind this panel so once you remove the screws, you'll need a hair dryer to thaw out the panel a bit so that it'll unclip and pull off. Pour hot water down the drain hole until it's draining properly again. Once it's draining properly blow compressed air down to make sure it's clear. If you don't have compressed air, use a turkey baster to make sure the drain line is clear and draining properly.

Now if you remove this panel and the drain is not clogged but you find the silver coils completely packed with frost, you actually have a defrost issue and you'll need to thaw all the frost out with a hair dryer and likely replace the defrost temperature sensor clipped onto the top of the silver evaporator coils. Below is a link to the sensor.

CLICK HERE for defrost sensor

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can you send this info to my email

Once you rate me, there is an E-mail sent to you with a link to this question so you can come back and read it whenever you like or ask follow-up questions at no charge if you have any.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I see the #97 in the diagram but I don't understand I where it is located. Bear with me am 80 years old and I am having a hard time with it.

It's a cover mounted directly on the back inside the refrigerator. If you were to remove all the shelves, you'll see a cover directly in the middle on the back inside the refrigerator and that is the cover you need to remove.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We had to quit for tonight. Will answer tomorrow. Thanks

OK good luck. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and if you need anything else just let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We Will tomorrow. Thanks

... I gave you my time and knowledge today.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Tyler, In an attempt to remove the bottom tray so as to reach the bottom evaporator cover we cannot find a release or screws to remove the tray. Please advise
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ASSY COVER-VEG REF;AW1-1 (DA97-12727A) this is the veg cover tray which has to be removed to get at the bottom evap cover screws
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You have failed to mention the Veg tray removal to get to the cover. Called repair service. Thanks for the effort.
I didn’t fail to mention anything. I said to remove all shelves and EVERYTHING . I do see you gave me a negative tasting however so unless you’d like to change that I will never help you in the future
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I agree with you that you did say I had to remove all shelves so I will change the rating to a 3; however, you did not help me in how to remove all the shelving to include the water filtering system. You forget that we are not all knowledgeable on how things come apart. I am 80 years old and I need all the help I can get. After about 3 hours of hit and miss I was able to get it done. I think the next time it happens if it does I will remove all the food ougt of the fridge and shut the fridge off and let the ice melt??

I wish you would have just replied back and asked further questions if you had any. This is an open conversation. If you needed more details all you had to do was ask.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Live & learn. Thanks for your help.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc