Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a Kitchenaid side by side refrigerator/freezer that's…

Hello! I have...

Hello! I have a Kitchenaid side by side refrigerator/freezer that's about 16 years old. I may have two problems: 1. the icemaker makes too much ice and the bin overflows. I see icicles coming down out of the icemaker when I open the freezer and the sensor lights are not on. I just unplugged the refrigerator for 10 min (read about a similar on your website and that was the advice). Red light came on temporarily when I plugged back in and I watched the icemaker turn the cubes over to be dropped in the bin. I also watched the water refill the trays and a few seconds later the water started leaking from bottom of icemaker. Sensor lights are still not on. 2. When I switch the icemaker to "off" position, it still makes too much ice and same things happen!

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your KitchenAid is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

I think it's about 16 years old (I know, it's old but still works mostly well!). The model is KSRA25FKSS00.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes, with my husband. He's very handy!

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

That's the only problem we're having with the refrigerator. We have well water and recently installed a new charcoal filter on the entire water system.

1/12/2018
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

That is a common issue you need to change out the sensor board kit on the unit, here is a link the part and a video of how to put it in.

CLICK HERE PART

CLICK HERE VIDEO

All I ask is...Please remember to use the RATING LINK ON YOUR PAGE by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today. I will not receive any credit otherwise. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
OK we can do that. However, will that solve both problems: 1. icemaker making too much ice and leaking and 2. icemaker making too much ice even when on/off button is at "off"?

Yes it should solve both, but if the icemaker is leaking through you may need a new icemaker, if the icemaker is 16 years old it may be due for a new icemaker too.