Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Gas oven is not turning on. Oven burner igniter is not

Gas oven is not...

Gas oven is not turning on. Oven burner igniter is not heating/ glowing.

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of your oven? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

GE model# ***** WEH1WW approx. 12 years old

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes, if possible

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The problem popped up after a power outage, but is probably not related

1/11/2018
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Since the igniter is not glowing or heating, it sounds like your bake igniter is just going out and needs to be replaced. Igniters generally last about 6-8 years normally and then they either stop working all together, or they just get weak and don't draw 3.2 amps even though they are glowing. If an igniter doesn't pull 3.2 amps, the oven gas safety valve will not open up.

Now if you had a multimeter, you can unplug the 2 wires going to the bake igniter and test power between the 2 wires behind the oven to see if you get 110 volts when you turn the oven to bake to confirm you're getting power. If so, then your igniter is bad for certain. Now the bake igniter is mounted to the bake burner below the floor inside the oven so you'd need to pull the floor out of the oven to access the igniter for replacement. Below is a link to the igniter for your model and it costs about $40.

CLICK HERE for igniter

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc