Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

2 Year old GE Electric dryer model # GTDP490ED8WS shuts down…

Customer Question
2 Year old...

2 Year old GE Electric dryer model # GTDP490ED8WS shuts down before cycle ends and clothes are dry. Can be restarted by pushing the on button after a few minutes. The dryer is hot on the left side top toward the back. I removed the front panel and cleaned out the lint inside, but it wasn't excessive. Also disconnected the vent hose and cleaned it out, but again not a lot of lint. Put it back together and it is still shutting off after a few minutes.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Just over 2 years old GE model GTDP490ED8WS

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I tried to provide the details of the problem above. Only two of us in the house so it hasn't been stressed too much.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Appliance
1/10/2018
Appliance Technician: Kelly, Appliance Technician replied 6 months ago
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Inside the dryer are two metal strips that sense the moisture in the clothes. The clothing passes over the strips and create an electrical path with the moisture in them. The metal strips sense the resistance in that electrical path and send that resistance reading to the control. The control then reads the resistance reading, interprets the resistance and from that reading determines how long the dryer needs to run. The less moisture in the clothing, the higher the resistance. The problem is that over time, detergent and softener residue builds up on the metal sensor strips and creates an insulating barrier between the strips and the clothing. Since the strips cannot sense the moisture in the clothing because of this barrier, it sends a high resistance reading to the control. The control then interprets that to mean that the clothes are dry and shuts off prematurely. You will need to clean those strips with a Scotch Brite pad, steel wool, sand paper or other abrasive to remove that barrier.

Does the behavior change after cleaning the sensors?