Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Travis, We spoke last week about my microwave, and you said…

Customer Question
Travis, We spoke last week about...
Travis,
We spoke last week about my microwave, and you said that the magnetron needs to be replaced so I replaced it and is doing exactly what it was doing before, nothing. Lights are on, timer counts down when you press start but it silent. What now?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/9/2018
Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 1 month ago
travis webb

Really I was certain that was the issue. Do you have a multimeter?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
but will have to locate it
Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 1 month ago

we are going to test a few parts.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry, I’m having trouble locating it, will get back to you when I find it
Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 1 month ago

th​at is totally fine. I am heading out for the evening and will follow up with you tomorrow. We will be testing fuses and thermostats for continuity first. That is where we will start and move on from there.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have found my meter what are we going to check and does it need to be plugged in
Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 1 month ago

what is your model number again?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ZMC1095SS001 it a GE monogram
Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 1 month ago
Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 1 month ago
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK I found the fuse but I am very green using the multimeter and testing things will need some direction
Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 1 month ago

al​l of these parts your testing for continuity.

Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 1 month ago
Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 1 month ago
Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 1 month ago
Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 1 month ago

transformer test the leads

Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 1 month ago
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok I’m a little slow. The fuse tested OK I put in a brand new diode so that should be good do I need to discharge the capacitor tested it im a little nervous about that one
Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 1 month ago

no need to be nervous the unit is unplugged correct and has been for a little while?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
about 24 hours
Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 1 month ago

so​ then there should not be anything to worry about you will be fine.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have a digital multi meter set at 20 K on the arms and when I touch the two leads on the capacitor I don't get any change on the meter it stays at 1. Is the meter set right
Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 1 month ago

is there any bulging or damage?

Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 1 month ago
Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 1 month ago

it​ should have read 0 so that may be your problem.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I saw that in one of the videos and no mine looks perfectly fine no dark spots no bulging
Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 1 month ago

ok that's good but the reading you are getting is meaning its not doing its job and needs replaced. The part that I sent you is for your unit.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
On my meter in any of the ohms settings it says one before I do anything Are you saying that should've changed to zero
Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 1 month ago

yes it should have read 0

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m not seeing the part you sent for the capacitor
Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 1 month ago
https://www.searspartsdirect.com/part-number/WB27X10011/0022/364.html?modelNumber=ZMC1095SF001&categoryName=Built-In%20Microwave%20Oven&brandName=GE
Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 1 month ago

I ​wanted to follow up with you to see if you were needing anything else?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just replaced the capacitor and it didn’t fix anything
Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 1 month ago

the only other thing that makes sense to me is the control board. The capacitor failed the testing so it did need replaced but apparently wasn't the problem. I will open this up to our other experts to see if they may have another idea.

Appliance Technician: Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician replied 1 month ago
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

I am a different tech do you still want help?

Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician