Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My washer turns on and locks the door but does not start the…

Customer Question
My washer turns on...

My washer turns on and locks the door but does not start the cycle, just humms?

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of your washing machine? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Whirlpool duet tumblefresh, fall of 2010.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes, on old age pension and have no extra money

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

There is some water left from the last load I did. Our power was off for 5 hours on the 30. On Jan 1 I put a load in and it never finished spinning. I put it on an extra rinse and spin, a little lest water but still not spin dry. Took it out and checked, everything seemed okay. Later on that day our furnace quit working and call in a gas fitter. It was full of water. He drained the furnace and it worked. The next day I tried to do another load and the furnace quit again. Full of water. He came again and drained the furnace and we left it unhooked. I checked the laundry and again it had not finished. So I thought I would try one more rinse and spin. The water came shooting out of the floor drain for the furnace. We then put winter window washer fluid down the drain for the washer. It appeared to be plug, a while later it was gone so we put more fluid down the drain hose and it did not stay. Now the washer starts, locks, does not cycle and humms.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/8/2018
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 5 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Can you tell where the humming is coming from? Is it coming from down below the washer? Or does it come from the upper back left corner where the water supply hoses connect to the washer?

It sounds like it is coming on the left down towards the bottom.

OK that doesn't make a lot of sense if it's allowing you to start a cycle like normal. I would unscrew the back of the top panel, then the top panel pulls straight back, up, and off. Start a cycle and just wait. Eventually an error should appear on the display. What error do you get? And with the top panel is the noise definitely not coming from where the water supply hoses connect on the back top of the washer?

It sounds like it is coming on the left down towards the bottom. I will have to get back to you, as I am unable to pull it out and will have to see if I can get someone to come over and pull it out. How do I get back to you?

ok just reply back like you are doing now when you can.

It sounds like it is coming on the left down towards the bottom. I will have to get back to you, as I am unable to pull it out and will have to see if I can get someone to come over and pull it out. How do I get back to you? Am I able to get in to this page if I shut it down?

Yes, you can just bookmark the page and come back.

Am I able to get in to this page if I shut it down?
Also if the noise is coming from the left and it is the hose connect is there something I can try before I call for help?
If the humm is coming from the left upper back what can I do?
Appliance Technician: Kelly, Appliance Technician replied 5 months ago
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. Sorry to hear you are having appliance trouble, I know how frustrating that can be! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

• May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?
Whirlpool tumble fresh, 2010

The model tag is around the opening where the clothes are loaded. The model number will look like WFW9150XTW0.

Whirlpool tumble fresh, 2010
My washer hums on the left near the top.

Whirlpool tumble fresh, 2010
My washer hums on the left near the top back.
WFW91S0WW01 or WFW9150WW01

Thank you very much! Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Provided the water is turned on to the machine, the water inlet valve(s) is/are likely faulty. Make sure the water is turned on and try both a cold and hot wash setting. The valves for that model are below.

CLICK HERE

If you would like instruction on replacing the valves, please just let me know. I am happy to prepare that information for you! :)

If you would be so kind, would you please remember to rate my service USING THE STAR SCALE at the top or the bottom of the page before you leave today? You may post back at anytime with follow up questions. Please let me know how I may earn your 5 star rating! Thank you so much!